Recommendation for sub $500 subwoofer?
Jan 26, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
I have a set of PMC monitors and is looking for a subwoofer (to be used in a small room) to accommodate the PMCs. So if any of you have experience with a good subwoofer in the $500 range or less that you can recommend, please let me know.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 22
The Hsu STF-2 should fit in your budget nicely after shipping. Even better if you can find it used. The trick is to tune it and match it to your system correctly. It's very difficult, but there's no question that the sub plays as deeply as advertised, which I verified in my own room. One of those products I really regret selling.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The Hsu STF-2 should fit in your budget nicely after shipping. Even better if you can find it used. The trick is to tune it and match it to your system correctly. It's very difficult, but there's no question that the sub plays as deeply as advertised, which I verified in my own room. One of those products I really regret selling.

What's the difference between the STF-2 and VTF-2? I see on ebay that there are a few VTF-2 but not sure if the STFs or VTFs are better?

Samuli:
The sub will be used mainly for music.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeno7651
What's the difference between the STF-2 and VTF-2? I see on ebay that there are a few VTF-2 but not sure if the STFs or VTFs are better?

Samuli:
The sub will be used mainly for music.

The VTF has variable tuning--you can set it for max extension for deeper bass, or max output for louder bass. I would prefer a sealed sub such as an ACi or Rel for music.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 22
I'd recommend the SVS PB-10ISD or the Acoustic Visions MRS-10. The SVS runs $429 I think and the Acoustic Visions is on a special till jan 31st for $375 I belive its regualar price after that is $450.

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 22
I've liked my REL Q150E with music a lot. Maybe a REL quake or so would fit your bill, but honestly lower-end Rels are lousy with movies.

I've heard only good things about SVS subs, they're supposed to give amazing value and judging from the specs and 3rd party measurements even the low-end ones will play very loud and reach the deepest of bass.... maybe someone could fill in with the sound quality of these subs. If I were you I would consider SVS to be my first choice at this point.

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 22
On the contrary, I have heard that the new svs sub isn't all that. In fact, slow response and muddiness was one of the complaints. Interestingly enough, that review was removed from the web after about a week. It was written by one of the experienced sub reviewers chosen for pre-release evaluation of the new sub. He compared it to several commercial and diy subs and basically said only to get it if you wanted deep rumble, but it was not so good for music.

I actually thought that the Hsu STF-2 had some bass overhang as well but I wasn't sure if that was because I never even came close to integrating it well into my system. Not even remotely close. I want to give it a second chance...Absolutely amazing with HT even when poorly integrated, however. The SVS is probably the same way. The thing that stinks the most is how that mostly positive but not gushing review was taken off the web. Very fishy on SVS's part.

A sub that will break your budget by a bit but should be plenty good is rythmikaudio.com's servo sub.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks for all the advice so far. One thing I also wanted to know is what are the advantages/disadvantages between a downward-firing vs a front-firing subwoofer?

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 22
Downward firing woofer must have a strong enough spider and surround to support its weight while firing in a vertical position. As it is, the negative is that you will lose xmax, meaning lower spl and earlier bottoming out. The advantage is that the motion of the woofer should be theoretically piston-like. Potentially lower distortion.

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 22
It's a pity that Audip Pro doesn't have any dealers in the USA. Sub Focus is very cheap even in Finland (300eur). It's a very good deal if you are looking for a cheap subwoofer.

Specs: http://www.audiopro.com/products/sub.../sub_focus.asp ... yeah right, 400W RMS
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sr20dem0n
are you open to building your own?

you would just buy the driver, buy a plate amp, and build an enclosure

I don't think I have the time to build one.

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 22
You could buy a Adire kit, the enclosure arrives pre-cut, you just glue/dowel/screw together...everything is included to get a optimized subwoofer. No need to worry about correct driver in correct enclosure type/size. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back