Recommendation for something similar to AKG K240 Monitors...
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DivineCurrent

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I am listening to my AKG K240 Monitors 600 ohms (NOT the Studios) from both my ODAC+O2 amp and my vintage Nakamichi receiver, and I must say I am impressed by the sound considering it's relatively old and cheaper than other headphones. I actually prefer the sound to the Beyer DT 880s as it sounds more natural and like a live performance. Problem is, the soundstage is not that good, and I would like to upgrade to something a little more clear and articulate.

I'm sure they're many people here who are familiar with the AKG K240 Studio version, but those are IMHO worse than the Monitor version. Treble is too shrill, and there's this low mids hump that annoys me sometimes. So, to those who have listened to the MONITOR version, are there any other phones that are similar in sound signature but with better resolution, soundstage, imaging, etc.? I have considered the AKG K712 or K702 Annie, both of which have good reviews, but then there is also the Q701 which I have never tried. I have the HD 580, and while is is better sounding, there's just not enough treble detail for me. Any suggestions?

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Chances are the old Nakamichi receiver's headphone output has a high impedance, which is not a problem with 600-ohm headphones.
But low Ohm headphones may not function their best plugged into the Nakamichi. so you might be limited in what new headphones you get for working with that receiver.
But of course the O2 can drive anything from 10-Ohms to 600-Ohms.
The AKG K7XX series are only 62-Ohm, but they might do "ok" plugged into the Nakamichi.
You might consider the DT990s (full bass & full treble), I'm sure you can find a good price on used DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 4
The DT 990s look very promising, I may have to give them a listen. Although people say it's got recessed mids, it's probably cause of the higher treble, but I actually like emphasized treble sometimes. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 4
  The DT 990s look very promising, I may have to give them a listen. Although people say it's got recessed mids, it's probably cause of the higher treble, but I actually like emphasized treble sometimes. 

The DT990s bass & treble do over shadow the mids a little, but the mids are clear.
The DT990s and K240M will each give something the other does not provide.
Feel free to read up and ask questions about the DT990s, on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back