Recommendation for portable amp for Grado RS-1
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 18
For Grados you'd be safe with tubey sounding amp. That could mean getting a used Xin SuperMini-IV or MiniBox-E+ with AD797 just like mrarroyo suggested. IMO RSA may be too hot for a Grado because the RSA were developed primarily using Senns which are way too different compared to Grados.

OTOH, let's not forget the Meier Corda range, they seems to offer enough beef to work well with a Grado without too pronounced highs

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Grados you'd be safe with tubey sounding amp. That could mean getting a used Xin SuperMini-IV or MiniBox-E+ with AD797 just like mrarroyo suggested. IMO RSA may be too hot for a Grado because the RSA were developed primarily using Senns which are way too different compared to Grados.

OTOH, let's not forget the Meier Corda range, they seems to offer enough beef to work well with a Grado without too pronounced highs

not to contradict you but i was warned by many when i was in the process of purchasing a cantate for my cans. one of them is an ms2. do you have experience with corda and grado. despite all the warning, skylab told me that his higher end grado(ps1000 ibelieve) is a good match so as leri with his rs1. many told me that if going with the tubes is possible then go for it. i cant remember his name but somebody told me that cordas were able to make the grados sound boring. i guess i have to figure this one out myself.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 18
Wow....making a Grado sound boring? that is somehting new I learned today. My experiences told me that the Grados are the least likely to fall into the laid back category. That super fast transient is actually too hot for my blood to handle hence the most tolerable piece of Grado that I can listen to is the MS-1 and perhaps an SR-225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back