Recommendation for Portable Amp, $75-$150?
Feb 7, 2005 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
All-

I am in the market for a battery-powered portable amp to drive Shure E5Cs.

Sources:
iPod Mini (line out)
Laptop (headphone jack of internal sound card)

I would like it to look a little nicer than a Mint. I've seen a few CMOYs in Hammond enclosures. Would the improvement from a CMOY be worth it?

JMT makes an amp that is basically a portable PiMeta with a class-A circuit that runs off of a 9V. Is that my best option in this price range?

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 22
Same here - need a portable amp. I'm new to this forum, and I've been searching info about battery powered (small) portable amps. Seems that it is quite tricky to choose one, since there is almost too many possibilities.
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of either Electric Avenues - Pocket Amp 2 or Xenos 0HA. Both are reasonable priced, and small enought to carry around with iPod mini. I couldn't find any previews of Xenos 0HA yet, and in pictures it seems a bit 'lighter' product than Pocket Amp 2. (which OP AMPs 0HA use?)

Or should I go straight to SR-71 for better quality?
confused.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeup.sir
Although a little over your budget, by about 25 or so dollars, I would wait a few more weeks til the portaphile v2 comes. Intial impressions of this amp look very promising.

Same here it should be one of the best op-amp based amps available in terms of sound quality and size.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by staid
Or should I go straight to SR-71 for better quality?
confused.gif

I first got into amps when I got the porta corda from the group buy, which is really nice.

I can't tell you about the other amps, but I ended up deciding to get an SR-71. I'm calling it quits on portable amps. There's also the super macro but I'm not into tweaking.

So my suggestion is, if you can afford it and if you're the type who will end up buying a "better and better" amp eventually, you should do research even on the amps beyond your current price range.

Or just run away from this site as fast as you can...

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 22
How much do custom IEM's go for? I really don't want to spend that much more than what I already have. Buying $1000 custom IEMs is out of the picture.

BTW, I think I'm going to go with a Portaphile v2 when it comes out. What do you think?

Feb 11, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
BTW, I think I'm going to go with a Portaphile v2 when it comes out. What do you think?

Could be a good choice... but choosing an amp is a bit too tricky, at least a newbie like me.
rolleyes.gif
So many amps, so little time....

I think that portable amp should have somekind of beltclip included, since I'm not gonna shove it up my **** when carrying it around.
biggrin.gif

Also long operation time with batteries would be nice. And perhaps crossfeed, if you can get any under 150$?

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 22
There was a group buy on a Porta Corda MKII amp which had crossfeed, if you can find one at that price....Found some good pics here .
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by staid
Could be a good choice... but choosing an amp is a bit too tricky, at least a newbie like me.
rolleyes.gif
So many amps, so little time....

I think that portable amp should have somekind of beltclip included, since I'm not gonna shove it up my **** when carrying it around.
biggrin.gif

Also long operation time with batteries would be nice. And perhaps crossfeed, if you can get any under 150$?

From the initial impressions of a Portaphile v2 beta unit, it seems like it is right up there with the SR-71 in terms of quality. But at half the price, it's a no brainer if you're on a budget!

I plan on carrying the Portaphile and an iPod mini in a small digital camera bag that attaches to your belt. That should also give enough space for things like canalphones, extra canalphone tips, extra battery, etc.

And I don't know where I heard this, but I believe that the estimated battery ilfe is 20 hours on alkaline 9V, 35 hours on lithium 9V.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

From the initial impressions of a Portaphile v2 beta unit, it seems like it is right up there with the SR-71 in terms of quality. But at half the price, it's a no brainer if you're on a budget!

Perhaps I should wait a bit more too... Just have to wait some reviews of it. (not beta)

Quote:

I plan on carrying the Portaphile and an iPod mini in a small digital camera bag that attaches to your belt. That should also give enough space for things like canalphones, extra canalphone tips, extra battery, etc.

Somekind of bag would be one way to carry those too, but I just like iPod mini cause the beltclip which came with it - no need for extra bags. But then again, amp needs beltclip too, and a loose cable between amp and iPod could be pain in the....
lambda.gif

I usually use my bike to way to work, and since I live in northern Europe, where is quite cold winters (and summers
rolleyes.gif
), I normally have plenty of clothes on. Yep, winter and bike - it kind of chills me...
icon10.gif

I have noticed that iPods click wheel doesn't work with cloves on, and amp's vol knob would be easier to use (iPod is at my belt under the jacket). Anyhow I could skip a song throught my jacket, if necessary. Perhaps it works with a bag too, depends of 'engineering' those.

Feb 11, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeup.sir
Although a little over your budget, by about 25 or so dollars, I would wait a few more weeks til the portaphile v2 comes. Intial impressions of this amp look very promising.

I second that. I have ordered one myself.

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

How much do custom IEM's go for? I really don't want to spend that much more than what I already have. Buying $1000 custom IEMs is out of the picture.

IEM is only $800.- for Sensaphonics. I think since you are currently using Shure e5C, you will enjoy greatly Sensaphonics. It's worth it I think.

Ultimateears(3 drivers IEM) will go over $1000.- with audiologist and shipping fee. So Sensaphonics is a bargain for two driver IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back