Recommendation for perfect office headphones under $2k
Aug 13, 2016 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

baglunch

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new-to-me headphones, and as long as they are under $2k I'm not too worried about the price.

I will almost exclusively be using these at the office, so what I'm looking for is:

- Not look too flashy: I don't want them attracting too much attention and getting stolen.  Also don't want them to look like I'm wearing sofa cushions on my head, if possible... because a lot of full-size look huge.
- Comfortable: I'll be wearing them 6-12 hours each day if I'm lucky  :)  Decent padding to the ears and on the headband... but nothing goofy if possible.
- Beautiful sound:  I listen to a wide variety of music, but end up listening to a lot of mashups, pop, and club music to help keep me awake and in the groove.  I appreciate soaring highs in classical, intimate vocals in jazz, kick ass bass in club.  I'm looking for an all-rounder.  Soundstage would be nice... but I know there's limitations you work with in closed-back.
- Isolating:  I mostly don't want noise leaking OUT, as it's a work environment and I don't want to bug my co-workers.

Last time I'd done much headphone research, I ended up with my Ultrasone Signature Pro's back when they first came out... and while I greatly like the sound, I've been using them less and less as the comfort on the ears and on the top of my head has pestered me more and more.

I'm also using JH Angie IEMs with stock tips to swap back and forth between with the SigPros, and wouldn't mind recommendations on tips for the IEMs.  I've heard Spinfits are good and will likely check those out.

I'm generally using both headphones with my Chord Mojo (amp/dac) from my android phone.

For recommendations, I'd love to hear what you love about them, and what concerns you may have.  Rather not just hear names tossed about with no context please!

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 5
  The closed back market is pretty limited, MrSpeakers Ether C would probably be your best bet if it doesn't look too unwieldy for office use to you.

I've been reading a bit about these, and am curious.... however, they seem very similarly designed to the Denon D7000's, which are somewhat leaky-to-others.  Have you tried them out?  Thoughts?

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 5

I've been reading a bit about these, and am curious.... however, they seem very similarly designed to the Denon D7000's, which are somewhat leaky-to-others.  Have you tried them out?  Thoughts?

Unfortunately I haven't, but either way it's best to be patient if possible as the Ether C Flow will be out soon and are still under your 2K budget.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 5

Unfortunately I haven't, but either way it's best to be patient if possible as the Ether C Flow will be out soon and are still under your 2K budget.

Oh my, those do look good..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back