Recommendation for over ear, closed back Headphone
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
Currently I own the HE-400, which I plan on upgrading to the 400i, as soon as money permits, and I also have the DT880 250Ohm and the Focal Spirit Classic, I got the Spirit classic in hopes to find a good closed can with a little more bass. I do like the Bass of the HE400, however, if I understand correctly, I may loose a little umph in the Bass department when I upgrade to the 400i. If I could desribe what I like when it comes to SQ, it's clarity, highs, but not too much.and seperation of instruments, now I understand the soundstage will close up with a closed back, but I wanted something that was very detailed and clear, but had some Bass to it that would have a little punch. The Focal Spirit classics are nice, but the earpads are a little small and I prefer the fit of my Beyerdynamics and such.

I am considering the Denon D2000, Mad Dog 3.2, but would like any recommendations.

I would drive it with a Magni2/Modi2 combo, I also have the Ibasso DX50 and would be willing to go used, my budget is about $200,.

Thanks,
James

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6
A used Mad Dog seems to be the best choice in this price range. You have the Magni to drive it, so I think you'll have enough power. If possible, try finding one with Alpha pads.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 6
What difference do the alpha pads make? Are these the pads that are very thick and large, I am also curious as to the difficulty to upgrade from Mad Dog 3.2 to Alpha dogs, I saw a for sale listing that stated that they could be upgraded, but is this something that you sned in to get done, and is it cheaper in the long run to just hold off and try to find a reasonable pair of Alpha dogs? I am kinda leaning towards the Mad Dog as well as I have heard the D2000 can have a little loose Bass that bleed into the mids... but this of course is an opinion from a couple of owners. Can't say that this is 100% accurate.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm sorry, I forgot the MD 3.2 already has the Alpha pads, so if you find a second hand MD 3.2 that's fine.

The Alpha pads give a somewhat different sound and they are angled, so the soundstage / imaging will improve.

The Alpha Dogs are very different because of their new housing. I'd say they are a great improvement, but that also comes at a price. In the second hand market, the Alpha Dogs are at least twice your budget. Probably even more.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Gotcha, Are there any other options out there outside of the Mad Dogs, I also understand the Oppo PM-3 might be in my range as well, a little higher, but I wonder how those compare?

James

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Between the Mad Dogs and the PM-3, I'd normally go for the PM-3 myself because of it's convenience. I'm not sure about the difference in sound quality though because I haven't been able to hear the PM-3. Weight, size and whether it's easy to drive or not don't seem to be important points in your case, so the Mad Dogs might still be the better option.

If you are thinking about the PM-3, I think you could better go with second hand Alpha Dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back