Recommendation for earbud headphones < $30.00
Nov 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Malanga

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I am new to headphone amps (In the process of building a Millet Starving Student amp and and a CMOY) and I am hoping someone could recommend a pair of earbud-size headphones to use at my workplace. I am hoping to find a pair in the $30.00 range because A) I am on a tight budget, and B) I cannot lock them up at work and there is always the possibility of them "disappearing."

If it helps I tend to listen to Jazz, classical and the like. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 11
You said ear bud sized not ear bud, right? So I'd go with the cheap sony IEMs... I think it's EX51... it's right around $20 and sounds pretty decent. Closer to $40 the Sennheiser CX300's get much better reviews here, but I've never heard a pair.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 11
My idea is to get a pair of portable earphones to use at work that are not very pricey. As they could get stolen, I did not want to go too high on the price. The particular style was not so much an issue. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Consider a pair of SoundMagic PL-30s from focalprice.com. They should run you $25.71 with free shipping. I don't personally own a pair of these (yet), but I've been reading good things about them in recent weeks on Head-Fi.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all.

I am new to headphone amps (In the process of building a Millet Starving Student amp and and a CMOY) and I am hoping someone could recommend a pair of earbud-size headphones to use at my workplace. I am hoping to find a pair in the $30.00 range because A) I am on a tight budget, and B) I cannot lock them up at work and there is always the possibility of them "disappearing."

If it helps I tend to listen to Jazz, classical and the like. Thanks!

I use earbuds at work because I need something that doesn't draw a lot of attention and I don't want to block all external sounds and I need to take them in and out frequently and quickly.

My current favorite are some Philips SHE2650/37. They are very comfortable, and they stay put in my ears when I'm walking around. I also listen to some classical and a lot of vocals and I think they sound pretty darn decent. Not quite as good as KSC-75 earclips, but better than my old Sennheiser MX450 buds. They also sound better than JVC marshmallows and the various other cheap iems that I've heard.

Another big plus is that the design is such that I can actually wear them lying on my side in bed, that feature alone makes them highly desireable in my book.

They're about $13 at amazon, I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My idea is to get a pair of portable earphones to use at work that are not very pricey. As they could get stolen, I did not want to go too high on the price. The particular style was not so much an issue. Thanks!

I bought some Skullcandy Smoking Buds and put triple flanged eartips on them and they sounded pretty darn good for the money! Bought and converted eight more, one for each of the 8 grandkids and kept one for myself as a "throw-away". They didn't cost much and looked/sounded great.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 11
I like JVC Marshmallows for low end but not bad at all. I have not found a high dollar iem that was as comfortable as them. Of course they are no where up to the caliber of a high $$$ iem, but relatively speaking they are decent. They can be had full price Best Buy for $29.95. Often they are on sale for $19.95 or $14.95 at Circuit City. I bought a couple of pairs there a few weeks ago for $14.95 ea. Good Luck!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back