Recommendation for desktop speakers
Jun 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
What would be an appropriate one?

Look up reviews on the NuForce Icon2, Icon Amp, and DIA, if anyone's paired them with those, or at least, any Polk Audio speakers. Then narrow down you choice based on feature sets you need. The Amp has more power but no DAC; the DIA has SPDIF input and the Icon2 has USB. Although if you're using them nearfield I doubt the output of the Icons would be insufficient. I've used my 35watt NAD304 (well, OK, the larger PSU might give it better control) with larger RTi towers (with about 2 bass drivers, one midrange, and one tweeter), and it filled the room with enough hard-hitting but never flabby bass. The Icons are Class D though so they don't usually need those larger transformers and capacitor banks; also the most basic T-Amp (look through that link below) can be satisfying enough for some with lower-efficiency Wharfedales in a small room, not even desktop, so power output by itself doesn't have to be the main criteria for choosing an amp.

There's also this Dayton audio amp, but like the Icon Amp, it has no DAC: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #21 of 47
The deal on those Polk's look fantastic, yes it's going to break your price range but they retailed 450$ new, and they're speakers you probably won't have to upgrade for a few years.

Also what do you guys think about this amp?
Few dollars more then the Dayton, but it packs a lot more power and it has a line-out he might need when he get's a powered sub.
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1339559330&sr=1-8

I also found a good deal on this if your willing to buy Used from Amazon, I'm mainly just suggesting this if you plan on maybe adding more speakers in the future for a surround set-up.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR304B-Theater-Receiver-Black/dp/B000Q3Q6CC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339561243&sr=1-1

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 47
Ya that Audiosource AMP-100 has established itself as a solid entry level workhorse and if TS wants brand new and does not need small sized amps it's a decent choice 
L3000.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #23 of 47
Thanks for all the responses! I forgot that I needed an amp when I saw the nice deal on the Polk speakers. So factoring in the price of the amp will exceed my budget by a bit.

I'm reading up on the amps that ProtegeManiac recommended and they all sound like they'd do a great job. However, they're all more pricey than I'd like to spend. I'd like the find a good balance of decent speakers with decent amp/dac at $150 or so.

I'm starting to feel that this is too much to ask with such a small budget.

The deal on those Polks seems really good, so I wouldn't mind stretching my budget a little more for an amp if it means I can have some quality speakers.

As Sn0o mentioned, it would be nice to have something that would allow for me to expand my setup, even if just to include a subwoofer. However, that's not a priority for me now. I'll probably be using this setup for at least a year or two and I wouldn't mind upgrading to something else along the time. Also, I'm a "she", not a "he". :wink:

I still haven't made up my mind on a computer purchase yet, but I think I'm leaning towards an iMac now, so I think I'll be under my budget for the computer. This means I can probably increase my budget for audio gear (possibly up to $250/$300).
smile.gif

EDIT:
I forgot to add that I'd also consider active monitors. I just thought that at the price range I've set, there wouldn't be anything decent. If that's still true, then disregard this. Of course, I'd still like to find the best value for the money without having to really use up my entire budget, if possible.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 47
Ahhhhh, sry lol. Just curious, but what kind of work are you planning on doing with your computer, as I can probably help you decide lol. The iMac is a very capable machine, the standard i5 version with 4gb ram is great for every day web surfing tasks etc. Upgrade it to the i7 with 8gbram-16gbram if your doing video editing, photoshop, 3D work, etc. Also the Mac Pro isn't really worth it in my eyes unless your going for the dual processor version, plus the MacPro's don't come with one of they're 1000$ screens thrown in, where as with the iMac it's included hahaha :D

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:
Ahhhhh, sry lol. Just curious, but what kind of work are you planning on doing with your computer, as I can probably help you decide lol. The iMac is a very capable machine, the standard i5 version with 4gb ram is great for every day web surfing tasks etc. Upgrade it to the i7 with 8gbram-16gbram if your doing video editing, photoshop, 3D work, etc. Also the Mac Pro isn't really worth it in my eyes unless your going for the dual processor version, plus the MacPro's don't come with one of they're 1000$ screens thrown in, where as with the iMac it's included hahaha :D

Haha, it's okay. I'm guessing it's not very common to have females post on here. =p

I'd like to enough power on the computer for photo processing. I'm just going to run Lightroom and Photoshop on there. I'd also like to play games occasionally, like Diablo3.
I wanted a computer that'll last me 3-5 years without the need to upgrade to another computer and that's the only reason why I was considering the Mac Pro, merely for it's ability to be expanded. Once I found out that the iMac has 3 hd slots, I started considering an iMac instead.

I don't think I need the 27" monitor. It's way too big for me, but if the i7 processor and faster processor speed is helpful, I'd be willing to go with that.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on a suitable setup. My budget was actually set at $2.5k because I was planning on a Mac Pro, but since I'll be able to save a bit with the iMac, I can dedicate more money to audio.

And back to the reason why I posted on this thread...what to do about speakers for my future computer? =)

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #28 of 47
If you just want to be safe, the Audiosource with the sub output is the way to go; although personally if the speakers have mid-bass drivers that large, and are mounted that close, chances are a subwoofer would not be necessary, unless you want to 'feel' the bass beyond just hearing it. Even my car has no sub - just 6.5" Focal Polyglass V2's in the doors (not the most ideal speaker cabinets, but it's got Dynamat everywhere), and I haven't really felt the need to get a sub. I use quiet touring tyres but I can't imagine a building to be anywhere near as noisy as a car, unless you have really lousy neighbors (in which case blasting back with your speakers might be satisfying, but I won't recommend it for your ears' sake).

As for using them with future computers, your DAC will be the primary problem - like if it has only USB2 and it gets phase out later, for example. Or if you go for high-resolution formats that it can't decode. Amps and speakers would still need to be matched to the DAC, true, but if the DAC gets outdated you can just upgrade to one that will match the amps and speakers rather than overhaul the entire system.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 47
Big bass is not a must. Based on what you've said, I doubt I'll need a sub anytime soon if at all. If I do want some extra bass, I could always put on headphones.

So what I think you're trying to tell me is that I should buy a DAC separately from an amp? I was thinking I can concentrate on speakers and amp now then get a DAC down the road. I'm more than fine with that option.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Not sure why you are advising a PC/Multimedia 2.1 just for the cheap, muddy sound and bass but $160sh u can hit 

TA2020 $25
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

Dayton B-652 $30
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

[size=small]Dayton SUB-1000 10" Sub $110[/size]
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-628

However i suggest getting a quality 2.0 and adding a quality sub later as a cheap sub for music would likely ruin it once u have trained ears - hit AV'S 2 channel/speakers sub forums for great pointers by the pros 
L3000.gif

I was about to recommend this but why go for the sub 1000 when you can the sub 1200 is currently on sale for $99?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back