Recommendation for a good portable dac to go with my amp?
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FortisFlyer75

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a portable dac to pair with my recently acquired  hardly used second hand TTVJ slim amp from a friend which is the non built in dac version.

I have already have owned the ibasso DB1 boomslang dac which I was impressed with but sold that a while back when I sold the PB1 amp. 

Was looking potentially at the DB2 portable dac as a natural progression but wanted any recommendations/ advice from someone that either has a TTVJ slim already with a separate portable dac or simply just has a good porta dac with whatever their amp might be......

My current portable set up is using the TTVJ slim with a Sony Z1070 & X1060 Walkman with JH16pro's & Sony MDR-Z1000 cans with TWag V2 Eclipse or Hybrid cables all in WAV format.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated ; )

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 3
I'd try contacting TTVJ about seeing if they would be able to add the DAC section to your amp. I know they have two separate models, but maybe they might be able to add whatever parts it needs onto your second hand one. Would probably be the cheapest and easiest method if it's possible. If you are using this with a computer, maybe the Headstage DAC USB cable or things like the USB DAC's that are coming out.are out. Many seem like they would do a good job.
Quote:
I am looking for a portable dac to pair with my recently acquired  hardly used second hand TTVJ slim amp from a friend which is the non built in dac version.

I have already have owned the ibasso DB1 boomslang dac which I was impressed with but sold that a while back when I sold the PB1 amp. 

Was looking potentially at the DB2 portable dac as a natural progression but wanted any recommendations/ advice from someone that either has a TTVJ slim already with a separate portable dac or simply just has a good porta dac with whatever their amp might be......

My current portable set up is using the TTVJ slim with a Sony Z1070 & X1060 Walkman with JH16pro's & Sony MDR-Z1000 cans with TWag V2 Eclipse or Hybrid cables all in WAV format.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated ; )

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I'd try contacting TTVJ about seeing if they would be able to add the DAC section to your amp. I know they have two separate models, but maybe they might be able to add whatever parts it needs onto your second hand one. Would probably be the cheapest and easiest method if it's possible. If you are using this with a computer, maybe the Headstage DAC USB cable or things like the USB DAC's that are coming out.are out. Many seem like they would do a good job.

Cheer's for the advice, In hindsight maybe having the in built dac would have been better than nothing and improved the sound than not having it built in but  I was originally going for a new slim direct from Todd with the dac but had heard it was not up to the standard of the DB1 dac I had which is why I am looking for a dac that is on par quality wise to this amp so they match evenly. 

I did forget to mention I would be using this with a laptop as well but still use it with other sources as well otherwise if it was just for the laptop I might of given the Dacport a try out.

Apart from the DB1 & 2 from ibasso I am not aware of too many stand alone portable dacs that are out there that fit the bill that can handle all three digital inputs (coax/ optical / usb). 

Having one with the same dimensions/ form factor of the TTVJ slim would be icing on the cake as well : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back