Recommendation between ATH-M40x or ATH-M30x or others (Under 100$)

Which one would you recommend

• Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Audio Technica ATH-M30x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Audio Technica ATH-M20x

• Others (please reply with the recommendation)

• Total voters
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hj576

New Head-Fier
TL;DR : I am looking to replace my Superlux HD 662 EVO. I cant decide weather to choose ATH M30x or the 40x is worth the extra cash or maybe even just get ATH M20x as i am no audiophile

Well I am sure we have dozens of these posts here, but... I am looking for replacement for my Superlux HD 662 EVO. I bought them last year, the first pair I had, the leather head strap broke and thomann sent me a replacement one (thumbs up for their amazing customer support) as they were still under warranty. Yesterday the strap for the replacement broke as well and this time I would have to send them back to thomann for replacement and I really dont want to go through the hassle. Surprisingly, both the times, the right ear speaker died a few days after the strap broke.,.. maybe without the strap more pressure is put on the ear pieces which results it in dying?

Anyways, I am looking for new headphones, and the reason I made this post is because I need some advice. So I am from Pakistan studying in EU and going back to Pakistan in August. Now finding authentic headphones in Pakistan is quite difficult so I want to take a pair of cans with me that should last me a couple of years (unlike the superlux that died on me twice in a year ....)
I mostly listen to Rock, Pop Rock, Punk Rock, Alt Rock, pop music. Some of my fav Musicians are Linkin Park, Blink 182, Marianas Trench, Thousand Foot Krutch, The Cab ... I mostly listen to music on my One Plus 3T and via Spotify. I wanted to give all this detail because I wanted to let people know what kind of music I am into, the device and the audio quality of files. My previous three headphones were JVC HA Rx 700, Creative Aurvana Live and Superlux HD662 EVO.

So now for the choice, From my recent search, the Audio-Technica ATH Mx series seems to be attracting me. Specially the M30x (75 euro ) and M40x (99 Euro). What confuses me is that the extra 25 Euro for M40x is it worth it ? I am not an audiophile, I could not tell much difference when moving from my JVC to CALS or from my CALS to my Superlux HD 662. Though i did feel an improvement after modifying the Supurlus HD 662 EVO. So for a person like me is the extra 25 euro worth it? M40x do have a lower impedance, would that make them better to be used with a cellphones without an external amp or dac ? And they do have detachable cable which adds to durability. But if the sound quality is not that different for an average user like me, is the extra cash justified, in a review I saw a person even say that M20x are good enough for most users and one should get them over M30x unless they are are audiophiles who can differentiate in the mids. On the other hand, I feel since i wont be investing headphones again in near future, the 25 euro seems to be a reasonable price to pay to get a better one now.

Of course any other headphones suggestions would be appreciated as well. My only requirement
1) Over ear
2) Comfortable (Superlux HD662 Evo did not meet this criteria, but for 30 euro i was willing to make the sacrifice)
3) Balanced clear sound
4) Durable

So yah sorry was the long read, thought providing as much detail as I can will help people make better suggestions.

Thanks

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 8
The M30X are pretty clear. I just got a pair for my cousin and they sound pretty good for the price. They're also very durable and fold up pretty nicely. If you're not big into hi-fi audio then the 30X will be just fine for you. I have a pair of HD650 with good amplification and I still enjoyed the M30X when I tried them out, even though I'm picky. Good luck!

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 8
I would suggest m40x. In my opinion, they are certainly a fair choice in the price range. They honestly beat out the m50x. People tend to pad swap them so that is always an option if necessary.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 8
If you are going to get a couple of years out of them, then I would maybe recommend spending the extra 25 euros for the M40x. They do sound a bit better, IMO. That said, @cossix is right that the M30x is probably perfectly adequate for someone who is not a highly critical listener. I own both and I like both. You probably cannot go wrong with either one. They won't fall apart like your Superlux did, either.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 8
The M40x is more neutral than the M30x (brighter and leaner) and M50x (overwhelming bass that drowns out the mids, along with somewhat rolled-off highs).

EQ can render this a moot point with enough effort, but the more expensive models have slightly better technical performance as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back