1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend some Rockabilly please

Discussion in 'Music' started by guzziguy, Jul 14, 2007.
First

Back
Next

Last
  1. klenkar
    Doctor D recommend that you under no circumstances listen to Rockabilly Barnyard Hillbilly or Stomp. You may turn in to a Backward redneck or even worse...what could be worse.....nothing! So stop recommending[​IMG]
    Doctor D
    ps. you may enjoy lots of beers though, it's summertime!

2. Moocher Contributor
    Try "Willie and the Poor Boys" :wink:

Mooch

3. ozz
    i'll put another vote in for dave edmunds and stray cats.

4. Hermitt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Reading that wiki page on Rockabilly I came across the below. I've never heard this album by Neil Young. Has any of you and is it any good?

"In 1983, legendary country rock singer Neil Young recorded a rockabilly album titled "Everybody's Rockin'". The album was not a commercial success and Young was involved in a widely publicized legal fight with Geffen Records who sued him for making a record that didn't sound "like a Neil Young record." Young made no further albums in the rockabilly style."

I haven't heard that paticular album, but I did hear the same thing said about it as you found. I think he also caught a lot of slack after he released Trans, which he experimented with a bunch of electronic gizmos. [​IMG] Have to keep my eyes out now for that "Everybody's Rockin'" [​IMG]

5. GlendaleViper
    Another recommendation for the Sun sessions, and the Elvis at Sun is an absolute must-have.

Getting a little into the Psychobilly end of things here, but The Matadors are an excellent band out of London, Ontario and are in much the same vein as Rev. Horton Heat. I think I've seen them live about 7 times now and it's always a blast.

6. Gatticus
    I think there are two Sun Sessions cd's. The complete sessions on two cd's and a cut down single cd version. Get the complete Sun Sessions if you can.

7. Hermitt
    If any of yas want to see Brian Setzer (of the Stray Cats) live along with ZZ Top and the Pretenders, here is a link to his current tour page.

-> http://briansetzer.com/tour.php

8. oicdn
    Tiger Army.

9. GlendaleViper
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Tiger Army.

Hmm... first album only, IMO. Their second album was ok from a Punk perspective, but was too much of a bastardization of the genre. Their third album had some decent vocal work... and this new one (IV). Ugh. Stay away!

How did one of my favourite bands change so thoroughly into EMO?

Oh, and I'm not sure if he's been mentioned, but Chris Isaac has some great music too.

10. TobyTyler
    You could also check out Wanda Jackson or Janis Martin.

11. Gatticus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Oh, and I'm not sure if he's been mentioned, but Chris Isaac has some great music too.

Yea, I've had a couple of his albums and they are quite good. I still think that song "Wicked Game" is one of the most classic sultry songs ever written. I even sang it in a karoke bar once. [​IMG]

12. Gatticus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    If any of yas want to see Brian Setzer (of the Stray Cats) live along with ZZ Top and the Pretenders, here is a link to his current tour page.

-> http://briansetzer.com/tour.php

Stray Cats play Vacouver in August. I could go to that one but it would mean getting a hotel too and that is more than I want to pay. Is Setzer playing with Stray Cats too or is it just the other members of the band? I wouldn't want to see them without him.

13. bigshot
    There are tons of great vintage rockabilly singles released to CD by Bear Family and Buffalo Bop labels in Germany. The CDs aren't cheap, but they are packed with songs and every one is worth getting. The Buffalo Bop ones are organized by themes... Juvenile Deliquency, UFOs, Hot Rods, High School Dances, etc.

Here are a bunch of them...
    http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...ffalo-Bop.html

See ya
    Steve

14. GlendaleViper
    Steve, that list is a Greaser's dream come true! Thanks for the link.

15. Hermitt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Stray Cats play Vacouver in August. I could go to that one but it would mean getting a hotel too and that is more than I want to pay. Is Setzer playing with Stray Cats too or is it just the other members of the band? I wouldn't want to see them without him.

Supposed to be all 3, Slim Jim, Lee Rocker and Brian [​IMG]

-> http://www.straycats.com/

First

Back
Next

Last