recommend some lesser known cds to each other...
Jan 19, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #16 of 36
Rushes - the fireman

Trippy electronic music by some dude named Paul, who used to be a member of some pop band from Liverpool named The Beatles. I purchased the CD because once you take the CD out, there's a photo featuring full frontal female nudity.
biggrin.gif

Just kidding about that last part....I mean there is a photo of female nudity, but I purchased the CD for the music, of course.

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 36
chadbang:

you should also check out the silver jews, who are a great lofi band themselves. they have connections to pavement, and began their music by recording on friends' answering machines.

their album 'the natural bridge' is a good place to start!

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
chadbang:

you should also check out the silver jews, who are a great lofi band themselves. they have connections to pavement, and began their music by recording on friends' answering machines.

their album 'the natural bridge' is a good place to start!

I have American Water ... it's pretty good.

Jan 19, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 36
i have reco'd this many many times so highly but i don't think anyone has ever bothered to get it, probably because you have to order it from www.burningshed.com, but cipher "one who whispers" is an awesome instrumental album, i would say instrumental pink floydish, i wish someone would try it and share my enthusiasm but maybe it's going to take me burning one for someone to get it listened to.........

Jan 19, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

This is simply the best album I've heard in the last two years. Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane over the Sea"

After reading what you wrote and doing some reading over at Amazon, I had to order this CD. It just sounds like I gotta own this. So thanks. I order quite a few CD's and this one has me excited.

Jan 19, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 36
Oh, and for all of you who want an even bigger list of potential candidates, I started a similar thread on another board that you might give a look/see to. It has some great listings and includes everything from classical to jazz to rock to bluegrass to hawaiian to folk to, well, a lot of other different genres. Here's a link. I am (was) Danbry39 over there. Hope you enjoy the read.

LINK

Jan 20, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #22 of 36
Danaa, great! It's flattering when someone takes your recommendation, and I hope you love it.

Tomek, I will check out the Silver Jews as soon as possible.

fyrfytrhoges, keep pushing for the albums you love. If I was back home and not overseas, I would check it out from burningshed. But ve haf our vays...
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #24 of 36
Here's a few cd's that are relatively well known over here in Europe, but maybe not so much in the US since I never see any of them mentioned on head-fi.

Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (DAAU) - We Need New Animals
One of my fav albums of all time, but it's kinda hard to describe. This album goes from classical to pop to middle eastern to dub to avant-garde, but it actually works!

Zita Swoon - Life = A Sexy Sanctuary
Another band from Belgium. Indie, but not more of the same I guess.

Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme
Psychadelic indie rock, one of the best live-shows I have seen.

Jaga Jazzist - The Stix
Jazzy electronica or electronic jazz, whatever.

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 36
chadbang, i've heard neutral milk hotel. i think they've got a good sound and i'm aware of that family of artists surrounding them. i think that the apples in stereo and olivia tremor control sound like the beatles would sound had they come out today.

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
Mclaren, could you describe that band please? I'm curious what their sound is like.

when I freind of mine suggested them to me, he said they were in the power metal genre. im not good at describing it, but if you like rock, you'll like this album.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 36
I don't know if these guys are lesser known because there's a lot of buzz about: The Eagles Of Death Metal. From the clips I've heard, they don't sound like either Eagles, or Death Metal. It sounds wild, but not as heavy as the Queens of The Stone Age. Anyway, their debut should come out on Valentine's day. I'm sure to check em out.

Jan 22, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #29 of 36
This one shouldn't surprise anyone who has seen my posts in the music forum, but here it is:

Project Pitchfork Chakra:Red!: The band is reasonably well-known in Germany, but hardly known elsewhere. This album is one of their best and has a varied sound to it, all rotating around an electro-industrial sound.

Some other stuff:

Absurd Minds Deception: Their first album and in my opinion still their best. A lighter electro-industrial/EBM.

Hocico Signos de Aberracion: A Mexican group, but not the stereotypical latin-style one. This is hard-hitting rythmic industrial and sung entirely in English.

Some albums off of Emusic (available in CD, but I only have the MP3s):

Ghazal As Night Falls On The Silk Road: Combination of traditional Middle Eastern and Indian music. Interesting and relaxing.

Zeromancer Clone Your Lover: Usually classified as industrial but mixes in a lot of metal and alternative. Very good stuff but its not well known outside of Europe. Some like their second album better but I prefer their first (this one).

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
This is simply the best album I've heard in the last two years. Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane over the Sea"

I listened to some samples & Im going to give it a shot today (purchase).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back