Recommend Soldering Iron?
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #16 of 20
Hakko FX888D. Definitely recommend the Hakko FX888D with stock tip plus an extra fine tip like the T18-S4 (helpful for small cable connectors). For around $100, it's a great combo for all applications.

For solder, the Cardas Quad Eutetic is great. Very easy to work with. A little pricey but unless you're doing a ton of soldering, it'll last and it's worth it.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 20
For solder, the Cardas Quad Eutetic is great. Very easy to work with. A little pricey but unless you're doing a ton of soldering, it'll last and it's worth it.
Agreed, low melting point and very easy to use. I go through a pound a year typically, thank goodness I get a vendor discount :wink: I believe they also sell it by the 1/4 pound now. Do note it contains lead, so safety procedures and washing hands thoroughly is very important.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #18 of 20
Agreed, low melting point and very easy to use. I go through a pound a year typically, thank goodness I get a vendor discount :wink: I believe they also sell it by the 1/4 pound now. Do note it contains lead, so safety procedures and washing hands thoroughly is very important.

I think, as a beginner, easy to work with solder is probably the best piece of advise.

The Cardas flows exceptionally well, and it being leaded with flux (along with the nice audiophile bling like silver lol) lends to its ease of use.

I use a fume extractor and gloves for safety reasons and recommend it, but for those who are only sparingly solder, its a very low hazard for sure.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 20
If you are going to solder any delicate wire ( speakers and OFC cables or tiny gauge wires) you must use temp control soldering iron. If not you will have 80% chances to burn everything or degrade what you are about to built.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 20
I've never found any reason to use anything but Kester Rosin-core Eutectic (63/37). It's served me well through dozens and dozens of amplifier builds, the same number of DACs or more, and plenty of cables. Cardas prices are too expensive ... on everything.

My Hakko 936 is still going strong - 15 years and counting. I wish it wasn't. I'd rather have an excuse to purchase the newer FX888. Unfortunately, I didn't know how good Hakkos were and purchased a 2nd 936 when it was on sale. I've never had reason to even open it.

One thing I've found out: I've gone through a few Hakko tips now. (Probably because I use only two tips and no others: a 1.6D chisel for through-hole and 0.8D chisel for SMD.) DO NOT BUY other brand replacements such as the Plano sold at Mouser. Compared to a genuine Hakko tip, they're junk. Hakko tips have a special sleeve inside the tip body that promotes much better heat transfer. Off-brand replacements do not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back