Recommend New DAC under 3k? (Reference 7 vs Weiss DAC2 vs WYR DAC2, etc etc)
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EphemeralHope

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, so the time to to upgrade DACs has come again. Could anyone with experience of multiple DACs in the price range compare and contrast for me? Also, looking to buy an amp, so built in combos <4k can also be discussed. I'm very interested in how the previous standards such as the Weiss DAC2. I really prefer more analog/natural signatures to digital/precise signatures if that helps.

Of course, lower price isn't an issue. If there's a 2k DAC that blows the competition out of the water like perhaps the Ref 7, I'll have no reserves on saving myself some money :) Ref 7 is really the DAC that I would assume many people can compare to since it seems to be FOTM. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 10
An important question is, what headphones do you intend to use with what you get? What music do you listen to? Have you tried any headphones or set-ups that impressed you?

As for comparisons though, the Reference 7 Loaner Program thread may help, as there are impressions of just the DAC. Beyond that, I'd say if you are considering the Ref 7, the most useful suggestion I'd have is to get the Ref 7.1 and Phoenix as a combination package if you were willing to drop $3k, and you like the idea of listening to music without any coloration whatsoever other than from the headphones.

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Hm, there seems to be a lot to consider. Thanks Currawong, I'll try the new Weiss DAC202 for now since I've heard some good reviews about it! As for headphones, I haven't auditioned any of the latest generation (LCD2, HE6) so will definitely pick one up for some listening. More of a speaker person, but yeah either works!

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 10
I've never heard the ref7,but I've heard the ref5 and weiss202,Weiss Minerva. Weiss202 is a very very good DAC,eventhough it's quite expensive. Weiss DAC2 is almost the same as  weiss Minerva ,which is to my ear,a very good Dac too,but 202 is more involving and for me 202 is sort of "musical" DAC,which by the way gives a very good detail,resolution and extension. Minerva(Dac2) seems to be more "analytical",but at the price about less than the half of the 202,I think weiss Dac2 is really really great.

About the Audio gd DAC5,I don't feel it can match up with the DAC2(Minerva) in any aspects,but DAC5 is far cheaper  than DAC2(Minerva) and I think the DAC7 should be a lot better than DAC 5 . So that's interesting to see the direct comparison,between Weiss DAC2 and ref7.

I am myself using the Ayre CX7e as  my source,which is quite a good cd player,but compared to Weiss minerva,I prefer the sound out of the Minerva more. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 10
more information about the DAC202 ,the guy ,who uses the DAC202 for a long time ,have bought this clock " Antelope Isochrone OCX" to use with the 202.We downhere have found ,the sound quality is noticeable improoved. And the sound out of MAC+Amara is a lot better than out of the PCs. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey coolcat, do you know which headphones pair well with this DAC straight out of the headphone amp (esp. the LCD-2 / HE-6)? Still deciding on which amp I want and meanwhile want to get listening!

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 10
weiss202 can't drive the HE6. The LCD2 can shine if you provide them a good dedicate amp. I've found the ED10 paired very well with weiss202,that's mean you can use the ED10 directly from the Weiss202 without an amp ,but like we know there are some issues about the Ed10,that make people turn their back to the ED10.To me if the Pad of Ed10 is already fixed and if  you can find a second hand pair with a reasonable price,the Ed10 are not bad option.

I thnk the best way is to find the headphones that you really like no matter if they are the HE6,LCD2 or maybe Stax (esp. the 507 or O2) and then find the amp that suit them.
For me these headphones are different enough to choose just one.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey coolcat, could you describe the edition 10s to me in more detail? For retail price, they are the most expensive out of all the current top-end headphones. Even if the pad problem is fixed, is the performance truly better(in at least most) aspects to the competiton? The LCD-2s really seem to be the FOTM to beat out and the Stax MK2s seem to be the most technically superior but for a price premium (which is the price point the ED10s compete at).
Of course since I wouldn't need an amp to power the ED10s, I don't mind paying a slight premium. almost 3x an LCD-2 makes me still wish-washy about it though. Let me know what you think (whether or not ed10s is just ultrasone's overpricing or if it's actually earned its top-end position! Also, if you happen to know a way to get it cheaper please PM me haha!

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 10
you can read more about the sound signature of the ED10 in the other threads. I used to be very amazed by the ED10,but many members here said about my opinion,that it's just a FOTM and I don't want to talk about the ED10 anymore,because more or less It will be an bias opinion, that's not good for you as a buyer.
My recommendation is that,you should read the threads.

To sum up again. ED10 are ,though the Mid is amazing, very harsh in treble,before the problem with the Pad was fixed,some members (including skylab the senior member here,who always give such a well useful advice about the headphones)   already sold them,cuz they have such an unacceptable problem in treble.

To me if you plan to buy the ED10 new,it is a risky choice,because they seem to leave a bad impression to the people around here (in case you are not sastified with them and want to sell them later)
but if you buy a secondhand one, I think that it's worth a try.

HE6 : good sound but you need an amp
LCD2: very good lovely mid,very good big fat bass,lack treble enegy somewhat,seem to be dark and decent headstage
ED10: sound very good ,very good mid,a good bass ,somewhat harsh treble (esp. before change the Pad),seem to be more airy than the two mentioned above, bad reputation here,expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back