Recommend, Moondrop kato vs 7hz timeless which is better for soundstage and imaging?
Aug 10, 2022 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zabiri

New Head-Fier
Hi I am a new member here.
I am planning to finally upgrade from Fiio fh3 to a bit better gear. I am aware of the sound characteristics and technicalities of both Moondrop kato and 7hz timeless. I need one with better soundstage and imaging.
So please let me know which is better.
Thanks.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 4
7Hz timeless has wide soundstage but zero depth to the soundstage. resolution is quite good otherwise, but the timbre is quite off and there are treble peaks.

Moondrop Kato has an average soundstage in all 3 dimensions, better timbre than the timeless, but not as good technically.

Both are not the best options for imaging and soundstage, best to look elsewhere.

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 4
7Hz timeless has wide soundstage but zero depth to the soundstage. resolution is quite good otherwise, but the timbre is quite off and there are treble peaks.

Moondrop Kato has an average soundstage in all 3 dimensions, better timbre than the timeless, but not as good technically.

Both are not the best options for imaging and soundstage, best to look elsewhere.
Thanks man for the help

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 4
Recently went through this decision, but from the FiiO FH1. My list had also narrowed to the Timeless and Kato, after a good bit of reading here, but also watching reviews. In the same time frame (across a 5-6 week period), I did a couple of source upgrades. Both in a dongle dac, and added a portable DAP.

I suggest using a Head-Fi supporting reseller for your purchase options that has a generous return/exchange policy. Amazon also has a 30 day return policy. Yes, it may be retail price (maybe not though if you catch a sale), but you can exchange/return a purchase if it doesn’t suit your setup and music style. If you are working with a tighter budget, both of your choices come across the BST frequently from those playing the ‘flavor of the month’ IEM rotation.

I landed with the 7hz Timeless. In balanced mode with a decent source (including a good recording) the soundstage is nicely wide, and has a good 3d space. I also play the tip rolling game (have accumulated a lot over the years), and believe in moderate EQ’ing to match a listening preference. The Timeless still catches me off guard with it’s musicality and capability every now and then with new music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back