Recommend: mid tier DAP with full bodied, dark sounding character
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bonyjam

New Head-Fier
Hi Seniors and Gurus,

I have narrowed down a few DAP, read reviews but want to reach out to the seniors over here for your opinion and advise.
Though I understand sound is very subjective, do share with me which of them in your view, can be more full-bodied and darker sounding?
Otherwise you can recommend a make/model.

Prerequisites:
1) Must have 4.4 mm Pentacomm output
2) Must have two way Bluetooth radio with LDAC support
3) Enough juice to drive budget to mid tier planar headphone

Choice of DAP I have narrowed down:
1) Hiby R5
2) Ibasso DX160
3) Hiby R6 pro
4) Fiio M11 pro
5) Ibasso DX220

Some of the above may be more expensive than mid tier but I figure out that they are within my budget.
I currently use a Fiio M11, and find the treble a bit too harsh and "digital" like. Not natural...
If I have to squeeze out more "blood" (money), then maybe the M15 but the lack of volume indication is a big minus point

I solely use headphone only and so pairing with IEM is not a concern for me.
My current collection of headphones are:
- Sony MDR-1A
- Meze 99 Neo
- Hifiman Sundara
- Hifiman Deva
- AKG K7XX

I listen to a lot of synth pop music via Spotify so hoping to have a DAP that helps to bring in some weight to the overall sound

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 4
When you say synth pop, what do you mean? Elaborate.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Based on the sound you're after, I'd opt for the R5 or DX160. Both use the same Cirrus Logic dac chips, which I find more full bodied and slightly darker than ESS chips. Saber sounds more harsh and analytical to my ears - not as smooth. Of course, how they are implemented plays an important role as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back