Recommend me violin albums
Nov 8, 2007 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

tz3ling

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been looking around for a well-recorded/remastered album with a great (if not best) violinist... Classical (concerto/sonata/chamber) or Jazz is fine. Any recommendations?

I'm also thinking of getting a few of those Joshua Bell albums (romance of the violin, gershwin fantasy etc), any thoughts?

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 40
http://home.comcast.net/~ronfint/Grumiaux.jpg
Grumiaux.jpg

This is a great album and is much better on vinyl (where its title is 'For My Friends'). A desert island disk. Really!

(I've included a direct link for times when the picture isn't working.)

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 40
If you like minimalism, I think I great starter album is Philip Glass's "Violin Concerto".
For a very comprehensive set of Romantic Violin Works on Platinum records.
Its a double CD that I picked up at Circuit City for about $7 and its given me a solid intro into the greats like Vivaldi, Brahms, Beethoven and others.

There are tons of super low priced "Best Of" albums like this at your local CD store and they are terrific place to start.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 40
Gidon Kremer

Enescu: Impressions D'Enfance; Schulhoff, Bartok: Sonatas for Violin and Piano with Oleg Maisenberg

Hommage à Piazzolla (tango)

Johann Sebastian Bach: The Sonatas and Partitas for Violin Solo, BWV 1001–1006

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 40
Ahh looks good... I've got a few CDs played by Gidon Kremer, still looking for that piazolla tango CD

Has anyone heard the Joshua Bell album though?

Any ideas on contemporary works? Say jazz violin works?

Keep 'em coming, guys =)

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 40
1216E.jpg

110+ mins of sublime and enchanting solo violin playing - Grumiaux is astonishing. I've barely listened to the other 5 classical CDs I bought at the same time.

I'd like to know more violin works too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 40
Well, the pianist Matthew Shipp has done a few records with the violinist Mat Maneri. Beautifully abstract and expressionistic:

By The Law Of Music

Expansion, Power and Release

Critical Mass

The first two are a "string trio": piano, violin and bass. The third is the same lineup with a drummer added. All are excellent.

Also, the pianist Russ Lossing sort of revived Shipp's string trio concept earlier this year: The disc, entitled Metal Rat, also features Mat Maneri; the bassist is Mark Dresser, whose playing is just unbelievable.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 40
There is a wealth of experienced classical fans here and I'm sure you will get plenty of recs but I've really enjoyed the Hilary Hahn albums I've picked up.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 40
I'm not a fan of Gidon Kremer, but anything by Arthur Grumiaux will be elegantly played and beautiful. The Bach sonatas and partitas mentioned above are wonderful. (You might also try Szeryng or if you're lucky enough to find the Johanna Martzy disks, you won't need others.) Grumiaux's Mozart is fantastic as well. Also look for Nathan Milstein ('Italian Sonatas' is another great disk).

One modern disk that is really nice is Rachel Barton's 'Homage to Sarasate'. There is also an old Ricci Sarasate LP on American Decca. I don't know if that made it to CD, but if it did, it would be worth getting.

I could go on like this all evening. There are more great violin albums than anyone has time to listen to.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 40
This is the best Sibelius violin concerto recording I've heard(and not only because I'm playing in it...
cool.gif
) Really,she's nothing less than amazing,not to mention her looks.Don't get me wrong:she can play.Absolutely world class performance here,forget about Mutter or those cute but so so violinists out there.Needless to say, the piece is an absolutely must for any classical music lover.Attachment 10492

Lisa Batiashvili with the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra.Sibelius and Lindberg violin concertos.Sony.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tz3ling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh looks good... I've got a few CDs played by Gidon Kremer, still looking for that piazolla tango CD

Has anyone heard the Joshua Bell album though?

Any ideas on contemporary works? Say jazz violin works?

Keep 'em coming, guys =)

47b4b220dca015dc6ccba010.L.jpg

As for Joshua Bell, his playing is rather boring to these ears.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 40
The Paganini violin concertos are nice violin works, and there are an abundance of it. The extremely difficult Beethoven Violin concerto is also very nice.

There are too many excellent violin albums. It will be a greater thrill to buy albums and find the one through trial and error.

I've listened to lots of Bach Sonatas and Partitas, both period and modern, and I like Gidon Kremer's playing the best (except for the sometimes excessive crunches in the Fugue in C and some others), especially his interpretation of the first part of Chaconne. Grumiaux is an all arounder that is one of the closer one's to non-Romantic playing on a modern instrument.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 40
DJShadow wins. Grumiaux is really good even though he's not quite as big of a name as some other people.

I also like this one CD, I think it has both the Mendelssohn and Beethoven Violin Concertos on them. Heifetz is the soloist, the conductor is Munch (sic) in both cases.

Also Bach's double violin concerto is very nice, BWV 1042 is good too. I dunno about standalone CDs for those, I got those as part of a Brandenburg Concertos set, with this Johnathan Rees guy as the leader and solo violinist. Even though I've never heard of the person his playing sounds extremely good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back