Recommend me some vintage integrated amps
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nak receivers just don't get the respect except for the PA7. That means you can get a good deal with Nak. But $25 for a STASIS is robbery. Wish I can get a deal like that just once.

Agreed. They get no respect from the average person, but those who know them- love them. Maybe it's best I just shut up and let these gems remain sleepers!

I am amazed that they were so popular, too. Seems there is no shortage of them on the used marketplace. You can definately find them in your local thrifts if you visit enough. $25 is a good deal for a SR-2A, I guess. A quick eBay search of completed items shows that they rarely fetch over $100 delivered, though. Still an insanely great deal!! Where else can you get a Nelson Pass designed amplifier, preamplifier, tuner, phono stage, and headphone amp for under $100!? Are people just asleep or what!? Crazy..
confused.gif

The PA line is loaded with ultra high end Nichicon "Great Supply" caps. I wonder how many people buy them just to rob parts....?

This is making me want to mod my little STASIS rig and see what it can do. Let's see, bypass tone and loudness controls, add a better power switch, put some real binding posts on the back, upgrade the jacks, and add a nice Alps or DACT attn..... could be REALLY sweet!!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 32
There are a LOT of great vintage amps that will BLOW AWAY the dedictaed headamps that people rave about. Marantz (1060, 1070), Marantz receivers (2225, 2230, 2270), Sansui (au505, au5900, au7900), Tandberg 33012 Prte-amp, Adcom 565, and yes - lots of NADs (352, 350,370,372,325bee,1020b).
But the truth is it is all hit and miss... The vintage amps are finicky... some sound great with Grados some make Senns sing. Be prepared to be disappointed or blown away. But all that fun experimantation comes at a VERY low price.

My personal Nirvana..... Nikko NA-790 with Senn 600s - absolutely fantastic! And it sucks with lower-impedance cans. BUT it drives my Canton speakers to places that headphones struggle to reach.

Check out Ebay. Check out Craig's. My Nikko came delivered for $55 and sounds better than any headphone amp I have ever owned!

Hi there, i recently bought Grado Gh2, and ordered the Rega P1 turntable, can you recommend any good vintage amp for grado headphones, and if it have phono would be perfect too :)
thanks in advance.

Pedro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back