Recommend me some Japanese music
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 66
not exactly mainstream but you might like Mell, she just released a new album, mellscope, she's the one that did the Black Lagoon opening song

also, since you like Shiina, I'll assume you already know about Tokyo Jihen, but if you don't, you have to check them out

Scoobie Do is also worth a mention, oh and Inugami Circus-dan is amazing imo. Oh and IOSYS, extremely experimental and creative lol.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 66
Boris - they're a metal band but they play all kinds of styles ranging from sludge, ambient, post-rock, hardcore punk, "classic" metal (like High on Fire), shoegaze, etc.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 66
I came into this thread to recommend Sheena Ringo but it seems you already like her. Back in the day user Aeriyn told me to get that one album of hers with the teacup on it, really glad I did.

In terms of Japanese stuff pretty well known in the US, I second Boris. Great band, start with the album Pink I would say. DJ Krush is great also, hip hop beats with subtle influence of traditional Japanese music.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 66
What's Japanese music?

Is this Japanese?
51AWC58AETL._SS500_.jpg

And what about this?
41AIdx42vkL._SS500_.jpg

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 66
what's mainstream japanese music? they have girl/boy/rap bands there too? am i just showing my ignorance? i like ken ishii / flare, techno but not mainstream (by uk standards anyway
confused_face.gif
smile.gif
)

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 66
I just looked up this Shiina Ringo chic, I like her music a lot. You might want to check out a band called Jaurim from Korea, they sort of have a similiar thing going on imo (well with some songs anyway, since they cover a huge range of genres).

YouTube - Jaurim - Mang Hyang Vs Vlad

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 66
Nagisa Ni Te

psych/folk rock

Dream Sounds is good for something a bit different, but there new cd is also a win (yosuga)

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 66
Definitely the Yoshida Brothers. Their Japanese albums are more traditional shamisen playing. Their international albums are more along the lines of using a shamisen in rock music.

If you like piano/jazz then Hiromi is for you. You never quite know what to expect. She's the kind of artist that, if you know she's going to be on TV, you MUST record her, as you wont here what she plays ever again. I missed recording her and i'm still kicking myself for it as she was amazing.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 66
This is about as far from mainstream as you're going to get:

Sigh, one of my favorite black metal bands. They incorporate a lot of classical, experimental and avant-garde elements into their music, which makes it really stand out. Mirai Kawashima is a genius...his vocals are quite unique too. Start off with either "Hail Horror Hail" or "Hangman's Hymn - Musikalische Exequien" from their albums.

Oh, and +2 on Boris. Great band.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back