Recommend me some Japanese music
May 21, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #32 of 66
Reviving an old thread, but since I listen to quite a bit of Japanese music...

The Pillows (getting more main stream, but still one of my all time favorite bands)
BECR (Beat Crusaders, they're a bit main stream as well)
Yukari Fresh (think like Pizzicato Five but zany)
Fantastic Plastic Machine
Polysics (are they mainstream?)
Gollbetty
Radwimps
Hiatus
Haruko Momoi (also spelled Halko Momoi)

I guess quite a bit is more main stream, but if you haven't heard them, they're worth a try.  I have never met anyone who has heard of Yukari Fresh much less heard her music.

May 22, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #34 of 66

Shugo Tokumaru for j-indie.  His music flies with a real Japanese aesthetic. Cute and graceful at the same time - think of Takk era Sigur Ros or the Jonsi album.

May 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 66
Kashiwa Daisuke, especially the album called Program Music I(can't believe noone has mentioned this yet)
World's End Girlfriend

May 30, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #36 of 66
Going from Sakamoto Ryuichi, you should reach the natural extensions of that tribe that originated from Yellow Magic Orchestra and the other members (Harumi Hosono and Takahashi Yukihiro), Sakamoto's ex-wife Akiko Yano, and so on, including related bands like Sandii and the Sunsetz, P-Model...etc.

Psy S was a really interesting art-pop band with diverse influences from rock, electronic, classical, pop, lounge...etc. The male half went on to compose music for video games and created the famous Parappa the Rapper.

Barbee Boys was a friend to Psy S and also a very interesting band with a unique take on rock, with a female and male vocalist on sax.

Buck-Tick is an interesting visual rock band that started that whole movement. I guess you can call them goth in some ways.

Olivia Lufkin sort of rides the line between mainstream and indie, as some of her songs are definitely not mainstream, but some are used as anime theme songs.

Kanno Yoko is a composer for film/anime and her solo stuff is pretty interesting.

May 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #38 of 66
I am obsessed with the GazettE! I recommend their newest album DIM as it is the easiest to get into. Each album sounds different then the other. If you want something that doesnt sound as dark as DIM, try Stacked Rubbish, but DIM is definitely the best :)
Their sound is not easily described as they have a large variety of sounds but they do it well.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #40 of 66

Quote:
Thirding Nujabes, by far the pinnacle of Japanese music. Try Metaphorical Music to start off with.

co-sign. rest in beats.

I'll recommend....

Anan Ryoko - Another Beginning
Raujika - Fairytale
Takeo Kajiwara - Morning Dew (Sounds of Color album)
Cradle / Cradle Orchestra...any of their albums
Nomak - Dynamic Meditation
Aly - Modal Source (Nujabes remakes)
re:plus - Everlasting Truth
LUSRICA - My Piano Sings

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #45 of 66
Another recommendation for Toe.  I've been digging their For Long Tomorrow CD.

Must check out this Boris y'all speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back