Recommend me some headphones for jazz
Oct 27, 2008 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

brianp

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm looking at getting some decent headphones (I'm currently using some sennheiser eh150's, and they're really uncomfortable). I recently tried a friends Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm headphones, and really liked them. I've also seen there are 80ohm versions.

I'm looking to spend around £100, and will be mainly driving them using my macbook pro. 99% of what I listen to is modern jazz with good recording quality (not much over 30 years old), and is encoded with Apple Lossless format. I'd like them to have really good bass response, as my ears don't (too much drumming). Are these a good model to go for (if so, would the 80 or 250 ohm version be more suitable?) or are there others in this price range that would be a better purchase?

Also, what are the main differences between open and closed back? Do closed back headphones usually have a better bass response? I don't mind about any noise escaping, and don't need much isolation, although if I got better sound quality with isolation I wouldn't mind.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 25
Closed usually do have more bass, and most people prefer to use open headphones when they can. I love my Sennheiser HD580 for jazz. They are not made anymore, but they show up in the for sale section here pretty often. The Sennheiser HD-595 also fit that price range, but I have never heard those. I know that the Hd580s benefit a lot from an amp, even a portable amp will do pretty good. It is not necessary, but increases SQ greatly.

Good Luck!

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 25
The only DT770's I have ever seen have been "Pro" versions. THe choice is between 80ohm or 250ohm. The latter being harder to drive.

If you are looking for a good Jazz headphone, the AKG K701 is considered very well suited for Jazz (although they will need an amp for for the best results).

For your budget, you might want to try to find a used set of HD580's.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 25
Both my Edition 9 and HD600 do great with Jazz, which is the bulk of my collection.

The K701 I use as a paperweight, or breaking in components, as it is not in either of the above's league...IMHO.

YMMV

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 25
In my case, I also prefer RS-1 with flat earpads and tube amp.......also just finished burning-in Terminators, which can do a job similar to RS-1, but closed. Found the best sound best way to use them was blocking the one open hole next to yoke pivot on left ear housing.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 25
You guys seem to be ignoring the price range he requested for, the RS1, Edition 9, HD600 and recabled K501 are all more expensive than 100 pounds. The Senns are the classic recommendation for Jazz cans, the HD555 or HD595 should do the trick for you.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 25
Actually the Sennheiser HD-595's are a really fine jazz can. That's what I use them for. Grado 325i for rock, AKG 701 for classical, and Sennheiser 595's for jazz. Yuin PK1 for portable. AKG 271s closed cans for isolation and stealth applications--I don't always want to leak sound.

Actually, I'd use any and all these cans for jazz, but in your price range, the HD-595's are a fine choice. You might also consider the HD-580 (but you'll need to amp it). You can use the 595's sans amp (amp helps, but they're pretty good ampless).

Cheers!

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 25
The cheapest I would recommend are Koss KSC75, listen to them right now direct out of laptop and for the money you may look something else for the rest of your life, imo...
Another, which may become a keeper, are Grado SR225.

Buy used...

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks for the responses. I'll try and find a shop with the AKG K701, Sennheiser HD555/595 and the Beyerdynamics in to compare. Would it be best to compare by taking my laptop in, as thats what I use most to listen on, or using their system, which would probably be a lot better than my laptop?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

If you are looking for a good Jazz headphone, the AKG K701 is considered very well suited for Jazz (although they will need an amp for for the best results).

I also listen to modern jazz a lot and the K701 (even when properly amplified) just didn't do it for me. It lacked punch and the bass (not the quantity, but the quality) didn't suit jazz to my ears (and this is coming from someone who is quite fond of the lean AKG bass).

For your budget, I'd take a look at the following cans:
AKG K501 (K500 is even better if you can find it) or a used, vintage Beyerdynamic DT990 from the late '80s (or early '90s). The last can is the best headphone I've heard (with good amplification). The clarity, punch and detail are almost scary with good recordings (such as ECM recordings) and the bass is just absolutely gorgeous without muddying the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back