Recommend me some headphones for jazz
Oct 28, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 25
The REAL help is not adhering to the low budget - but, pointing the way to what really works (short of suggesting preferable speaker setups).

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #17 of 25
You can try AKG K240S/MK II/ 242HD, sweet and musical.
Not a big sound stage though, suitable for solo and small band jazz.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also listen to modern jazz a lot and the K701 (even when properly amplified) just didn't do it for me. It lacked punch and the bass (not the quantity, but the quality) didn't suit jazz to my ears (and this is coming from someone who is quite fond of the lean AKG bass).

For your budget, I'd take a look at the following cans:
AKG K501 (K500 is even better if you can find it) or a used, vintage Beyerdynamic DT990 from the late '80s (or early '90s). The last can is the best headphone I've heard (with good amplification). The clarity, punch and detail are almost scary with good recordings (such as ECM recordings) and the bass is just absolutely gorgeous without muddying the mids.

Its good to have recommendations from people with similar musical tastes. Which artists do you listen to? Thanks.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 25
My favorites for jazz are the AKG K-501, the Beyerdynamic DT48 and the Sennheiser HD-600. The first two can be found used within your budget and the HD-600 can be found used around $200 USD.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The REAL help is not adhering to the low budget - but, pointing the way to what really works (short of suggesting preferable speaker setups).

No, that isn't helpful at all, since the OP will completely ignore your post because your suggestions are far out of his price range.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 25
If you can find them, the AKG 501s are stellar for Jazz. In fact, my purchase of them several years ago motivated me to get into Jazz from the early fifties through about the mid-60s era. They were discontinued when the 601/701s came out and you'll have to find them used. Can't tell you how they compare because I've never heard the new cans, but some who have swear that 501 mids still are the sweet spot for jazz.

I just got a set of DT770 2005 Consumer version, which is reportedly far more balanced than any of the pro versions. I've really only listened to some rock, classic and progressive, so far but it did sound good with Miles' "Kind of Blue" for the one bit of jazz I have listened to with 'em.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the K500 with K601 pads which, IMHO, is a great match. You could only get these used, however. I have never tried them myself, but the K400, which, btw, REB is selling a pair of right now, allegedly better the K500. That seems to be a good start.

The K400 is great, but I agree with tohni that the K500 with K601 pads is just about as good as it gets
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 25
Thanks for the help people. I couldn't find anywhere near me that stocked headphones, so I went for the Beyerdynamic DT770s 80ohm version, as I knew they were comfy and sounded good.

Based on advice here, I will look into getting a headphone amp. I would like to be able to use my macbook pro as the source. I think it has a digital out, but if there are any USB/Firewire compatible amps I would consider them as well. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back