Recommend me some good instrumental jazz..
Jun 2, 2006 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ShaftedTwice

100+ Head-Fier
I've sorta been into smooth jazz recently and I want to just see all that is out there, but really I just want to start out with instrumental jazz only, can be any instruments, any kind of jazz, just something to get me started with.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 18
The Legendary Prestige Quintet Recrodings by Miles Davis.

Includes Coltrane and one of the swingingest rhythm sections of all time.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=347805448

While 70s Miles is great, it may not be the place to start for most people. Jack Johnson is more of a funk album, although AMAZING.

Another great place to start is emusic.com Really cheap mp3 downloads at a nice quality will allow you to sample alot of great jazz. The aforementioned Prestige box set is actually available. (their noraml price is 10 bucks for 40 tracks. you get 25 free in the trial period.)

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 18
George Benson is a nice way to introduce a person to jazz who wants something a little on the smooth side that's not saccrine. Great guitarist.

If you want something a little more hardcore, try Brad Meldhau. He's some serious stuff and one of my favorite piano players. His playing is sophistiscated yet smooth and nice.

If you want to go on to the deep end with a little insanity and something to kick your ass in more extreme way, Go for John Coltrane. His studio albums are great. His live albums are kinda like the hard core heavy metal of jazz in a way. What I mean is it goes into some crazy stuff and at times, not for the faint of heart or casual listener. Fun stuff.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 18
For smooth jazz -- Caribbean Jazz Project
Peter White
Dave Valentine
Dave Samuels

Any of these will be nice smooth sounds with a caribbean - latin feel - I love them for relaxing!

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
I've sorta been into smooth jazz recently and I want to just see all that is out there, but really I just want to start out with instrumental jazz only, can be any instruments, any kind of jazz, just something to get me started with.

Funny you mention this... been getting into Spyro Gyra a lot lately. Jay Beckenstein is incredible.

Ive always liked jonathan butler and Tuck & patti, but much of their tunes are vocal / guitar based.

On the more traditional side, I'm really into Artie Shaw lately too.

Garrett

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Hmm.. Miles Davis doesn't seem bad at all, a bit of a transition between smooth jazz, but it's still good stuff, just a little different.

I have heard a lot of George Benson, except he sings as well, good at singing, yes, but I am looking mainly for instrumental.

Peter White, wow, he is great, I am lovin this stuff man, have yet to check out the others.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 18
Coltrane, do you really think miles davis from the 70s is easy for any jazz beginner? i rather suggest those 5 albums, walkin, cookin' steamin' relaxin and workin from the miles davis quintet first. those are very easy for any non jazz fans. i'm a davis fan so everything is just amazing to me but, if i have to choose. i'll choose those. kind of blue is good too.

what about fourplay for smooth jazz?

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 18
Pat Metheney's one quiet night is a great peice of jazz for the accoustic guitar, and a great record that's not too "stroky stroky beardy" jazz.

Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um is a fantastic record, with some awesome bass playing, and cool grooves. Also "goodbye porkpye hat" is one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever heard.

And of course, Maynard Ferguson. The trumpeter. Get "new vintage" for a corking version of rimsky korsakov's sheherezade among other gems, or go for the "this is jazz" collection for a bit of Macarthur Park, a bit of birdland, and the theme from Rocky!!!

The recent (ish) dave brubeck quartet recording they did in a starbucks is also pretty cool.

There's 4 for you.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
Coltrane, do you really think miles davis from the 70s is easy for any jazz beginner? i rather suggest those 5 albums, walkin, cookin' steamin' relaxin and workin from the miles davis quintet first.

what about fourplay for smooth jazz?

I said 70s Miles wasnt a good place to start. And reccomended the quintet albums like you say.

As for smooth jazz, everyone needs to just stop listening to it now. You can still get what you want (that relaxing groove) from people creating MUCH MUCH better music.

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 18
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue
Bill Evans - almost any of his 50s stuff: Villiage Vanguard, Waltz for Debbie.
Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else and, w/Bill Evans, Know What I Mean
Grant Green - Idle Moments - the epitome of smooth jazz guitar
John Coltrane - Blue Train, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things
Charles Mingus - I second "Ah Um", also check out "Blues and Roots" and "Mingus Dynasty". For more intensity and density, "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady". Mingus is currently blowing my mind!

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 18
"Smooth Jazz" is more of a radio format term, not neccessarily a type of music (jazz).

There are just as many (if not more) types of jazz than there are rock so it's really hard to guide you. You really need to sample some stuff. I don't think 95% of people starting out into jazz would ever even "get" Metheny, Mehldau, Coltane etc. and could give up quite easily.

Most of the crap they play on the "smooth jazz" radio stations is actually R & B, Adult Contemp stuff anyways. Many of the jazz "purists" disregard a lot of the more contemporary stuff but it is a lot easier to listen to and to start with in the many jazz genres.

Starting out I'd recommend stuff like....(This stuff is easy to listen to but it's decent music with good musicianship)

Rippingtons...."Curves Ahead", "Black Diamond", "Wildcard", etc.
Spyro Gyra...."The Deep End", "Wrapped in a Dream"(latest)....yes Beckenstein on sax is terrific and Scott Ambush is one of the true masters on bass.
Acoustic Alchemy...."Aart", "Beautiful Game"
Ken Navarro....."Island Life"

Feel a little more daring??

Yellowjackets..."Time Squared", "Blue Hats", "Mint Jam"
Dave Weckl Band...."Transition", "Multiplicity", "Perpetual Motion"
Pat Metheny Group..."The Way Up", "Speaking of Now", "Road to You (live)" etc, etc....
Caribbean Jazz Project..."Here and Now (live)"
Joshua Redman...."Momentum"
Al Dimeola..."Orange and Blue"

This isn't even a surface scratch. There is tons of stuff out there but unfortunately none of it is played on radio. You could go to Amazon and read more on these releases, get samples or pick a couple up to get started on a long journey. Good luck.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 18
Pat Metheny was actually rather "smooth" sounding in his early years. He's not somebody that's difficult to "get" at all.

As for the OP, he has been poisoned by listening to bad music. It's going to take a lot of exposure to realize your misguided ways and start listening to real jazz. If I were you, I would just hop right into an Anthony Braxton album or a late John Coltrane and expose yourself to as much avant-garde, craziness, free-form madness as possible. That way, once you hear 30s and 40s be-bop, it won't be that unappealing at all. And then once you get be-bop, the avant-garde stuff will come to you with no problem.

Instrumental jazz is such a gigantic genre - it's best to get yourself exposed to a large variety.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Charles Mingus - Tiujana Moods
Sun Ra - Space is the Place
John Zorn - Naked City
Anthony Braxton - Live at Yoshi's 1999 Volume 1
Keith Jarret - Recital Live in Germany (I don't know the CD version's title)
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Ari Hoenig - The Painter
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia
Peter Brotzman - Machine Gun
Roland Kirk - Introducing Roland Kirk
Thelonious Monk - Straight/No Chaser

This is just a sample list - basically, if I were you, I would just listen to a large variety of different styles of instrumental jazz and expose yourself to as much as possible. Get everything from (hard) bop, to west-coast cool, to free-form improvisation and avant-garde composition, and everything in between.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Wow, lots of recommendations guys. And like bonethugz said, yeah, it is a little hard to start off with, but Ill be listening to all your guys' recommendations, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back