Recommend me some closed cans, up to £600
Jan 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MartynB85

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

As per the title really. Currently I have AKG K550's, RHA T20 IEM's and Hifiman 400i's. Now I have only had the 400i's since Friday so these can be returned.

Basically I'm looking for something that sounds like the 400i's that is closed and has a touch more bass presence. 

The 400i's are really growing on me but I'd like to see what else it out there. I do have an issue with them being open, the sound is great but I can't crank them up without disturbing the mrs while she watches TV. And I dislike that I can also hear everything else that goes on in the room.

Will be powering them from my Mojo.

So far the only ones that have caught my attention is the Audeze EL-8, however I have seen a bad review that is putting me off them a little. Another set would be the Fostex TH610.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 16
Check out the Oppo PM-3, they're also affordable planar magnetics but they are closed back
I don't own them but I hear they sound great and have fantastic build quality.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 16
I think I would definitely like to go with planars again, but that means I am very limited to choice.

The Oppo's do look very good, slightly put off with them being on-ear. Shame they don't do a PM-2 closed.

The only other option I can find is the Audeze EL-8 closed. I didn't think finding a set of cans would be so difficult.

EDIT: It appears I was wrong, they are over ear. Not sure why I thought they were on ear. 

So it looks like its between these 2. I will only ever use them in the house, and I'm not really fussed about weight or price. I just want the best closed planar I can get that can be powered from my Mojo.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 16
You might also check out a used pair of Alpha Dogs or Primes.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I think I would definitely like to go with planars again, but that means I am very limited to choice.

The Oppo's do look very good, slightly put off with them being on-ear. Shame they don't do a PM-2 closed.

The only other option I can find is the Audeze EL-8 closed. I didn't think finding a set of cans would be so difficult.

EDIT: It appears I was wrong, they are over ear. Not sure why I thought they were on ear. 

So it looks like its between these 2. I will only ever use them in the house, and I'm not really fussed about weight or price. I just want the best closed planar I can get that can be powered from my Mojo.

The Oppo PM3s are over, not on ear. They are very comfortable, too. Oops, sorry I didn't see you had already changed. Noob over-enthusiasm.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 16
You should definitely consider the Shure 1540s. Definitely not flat, definitely not boring, and about half your top budget. They work well with any source and don't really require an amp to drive. Isolation is decent, but still leaks a bit. In my opinion, the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. I've used the 1540s most days for probably three years, for travelling and for office life, and I have no desire to replace them with anything else. I've compared them to the EL-8s in the past, and the 1540s won for me (even ignoring the price difference).

If you can get the chance, go try a pair! They're not for everyone (especially if you're wanting less bass, more treble), but definitely worth considering.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Any luck? I'm looking for something similar. I really like the sound of my open EL-8, but the reviews on the closed are very negative

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Yes but no.

I went out to audition the Fostex, when I got there they had no stock (should have called first) but I got chatting and ended up trying almost every set of headphones there. They had very few closed cans but some of the open ones leak very little, far less than my 400i's.

Anyway I ended buying the Focal Elears. They aren't exactly what I was looking for but they sound fantastic and don't leak insane amounts. They don't isolate very well though, but I'm just going to have to live with that.

I haven't heard the Audeze, but I have seen many people say the closed are terrible so I took them off my list.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 16
You should definitely consider the Shure 1540s. Definitely not flat, definitely not boring, and about half your top budget. They work well with any source and don't really require an amp to drive. Isolation is decent, but still leaks a bit. In my opinion, the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. I've used the 1540s most days for probably three years, for travelling and for office life, and I have no desire to replace them with anything else. I've compared them to the EL-8s in the past, and the 1540s won for me (even ignoring the price difference).

If you can get the chance, go try a pair! They're not for everyone (especially if you're wanting less bass, more treble), but definitely worth considering.

I second this with extreme vigor!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back