Recommend me some 'aggressive' (?) Jazz
Oct 26, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tohni

100+ Head-Fier
So, I am very much into Medeski, Martin and Wood, EST, Tribal Tech (of course Scott Henderson's solo stuff, too) and Soil & Pimp Sessions: now I want to know more of the same. Can you help me? Anything that is equally rocking, weird, loud (or whatever you wanna call it) is welcome; but please no Weather Report or Bitches Brew, I just don't dig them. I am not thinking about weird-weird, like some drugged-out wannabe revolutionaries - that would be Miles
tongue.gif
-, more like art- and playfully weird.

Thx...
smile.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 25
Soulive, Coltrane, Zappa, Galactic, Benevento Russo Duo, Addison Groove Project, Bela Fleck & The Fleck Tones, Victor Wooten

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 25
Awesome, I have never heard of Bad Plus or Sex Mob before. I'll check them out right now.
Coltrane and Zappa are more like the drugged kind of weird I meant (plus headache in Coltrane's case). I wouldn't consider Wooten either aggressive or weird or anything; he's more of an excessively soulful musical athlete imo. The others ones, however, I will definitely look into.
Thx so far, keep em coming...
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 25
Al Dimeola has some rock/jazz.../spanish fusion thing going and it is very complex and out there. Some songs are aggressive, others are mellow

Miles may take some effort to get in to, but the man was no wannabe lol

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 25
Metro, "Metrocafe" (fantastic fusion colaboration with Chuck Loeb/Wolfgang Haffner)

Yellowjackets, "Time Squared" (Since Bob Mintzer joined the lineup they are the greatest contemporary jazz band ever assembled IMHO)

Mike Stern, "Who Let The Cat's Out" (regarded as one of the greatest jazz guitarists alive)

Dave Weckl Band, "Perpetual Motion" (The band flat out rocks!)

Metheny, Hancock, DeJohnette, "Parallel Realities" (Three legends tearing it up)

Pat Metheny Group, "The Road To You" (Terrific live cd. Songs "Half Life of Absolution" (Pink Floyd meets Metallica) and "First Circle" are worth the price of the cd alone)

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Dang, I once had some Yellowjackets, only I didn't give them time. Thx. I forgot to mention that I have grown somewhat allergic to Mike Stern. I loved his style but at some point he simply started to get on my nerves. I am looking more for a Bill Frisell kind of sound, or rather music with a certain abstractness to it (which, in itself, sounds pretty abstract already). Pat Metheny might qualify, but then his style fails to keep me interested for a longer time.
As my brother plays the drums, I already know all of Dave Weckl's albums inside out. He also owned Parallel Realities. I never got around to listen to it though.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I should have thought this through. Now I'll have to go get all those cds.
frown.gif
Hope I can find some in the library - only to get an idea of what the cd looks like, of course.
nice, it seems my cd collection depression might lighten up a bit.

Hehehehe, wait until something else comes to mind
wink.gif
Hopefully you'll get more recommendations from other members in the next days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back