Recommend me an over the ear set $100-250 range
May 3, 2015 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

winteriscoming

New Head-Fier
Im currently using a pair of RHA t10i's which I like quite a lot. But I'm looking a summer of studying for the bar exam which involves watching a lot of videos in a library and the t10i's have lovely sound but I don't find them comfortable for long wear. So I'm interested in an over the ear set with emphasis on comfort and mild/moderate noise isolation. In a dream world they'd have volume controls on the cable but I can live without that. When I do listen to music, it's a 50-50 split between classical and new rock. I've used my boyfriend's At-M50's before and I think that would fit most of my qualifications but again, wore them for 4 hours today and became very aware that they were there to the point of mild discomfort.

May 3, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 3

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
The NVX XPT100 is super-comfortable and has superb isolation...but I didn't like the sound much. I believe the M40x has the same fit as the M50x, but I could be mistaken. Not a fan of that one's sound either. I like the Sony MDR-7506 a lot more...but it may not be as comfortable for others as it is for me, plus it has a non-detachable cable. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 presents a great value, since its MSRP is $399 but it is now available for $150. However, I haven't used it myself. The NAD VISO HP50 is sometimes available for $250. It has similar measurements to my favorite headphone, the Focal Spirit Professional. If you buy used headphones, you can get ones you couldn't afford otherwise. For example, here is a Focal Spirit Professional (normally $349) within your budget. Unfortunately, despite its excellent sound quality, there are build and comfort issues for some people.

May 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 3

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
If you wouldn't mind something with less bass emphasis, but better mids and overall better sound otherwise than the M50s, then I would suggest looking into AKG K553/K550, Soundmagic HP100/HP150.

Massdrop has the K553 on sale for $119 for a another day: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone. Note Massdrop often takes a month to ship with their group buys.

Users who are viewing this thread