recommend me an mp3 player!
Mar 16, 2006 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
i'm sick of changing my music every day with my 128mb creative muvo nx, it sounds great with my senn mx500s but there simply isn't enough space on it

i'm looking for something 4-6gb preferably but will tolerate as little as 1gb and up to 10 or 20gb, i want something that gets louder than the muvo as it wasn't very loud, of course the reason i am asking on head-fi is my concern for sound quality and amplification since i won't be using a portable amp, my price range is a maximum of $200, thanks in advance everyone

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 15
well 3 flash players i can recomend are the iaudio g3 and u2, and the creative zen nano plus. All of which are 1GB, I can fit 270 WMA 9 VBR songs. so unless you listen for a day straight you will not repeat. I prefer the creative because you can shuffle just a folder making it eaiser to listen to just one genre. all of them have amazing battery life and average sound quality. depending on your experience with the muvo you may want to just get a higher capacity zen nano.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Sony NW-HD3 (in F/S forum) + volume hack = happy days for you.

If that isn't satisfying, go for an iAudio.

Actually, I second that. I really miss my HD2 (yes, HD2...), and now I wish I hadn't sold it. The availability of accessories, etc., videos, and the 60Gb HD of the iPod are nice, but I find I don't really use them. The one thing I don't miss is the old version of SonicStage, but I find the new SonicStage my GF uses with her A1000 is MUCH improved.

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 15
What's your budget?

If you want to stick with Creative's fantastic sound quality then I'd recommend the following players:

~$200-250 - 8Gb Zen MicroPhoto
~$150-200 - 5 or 6Gb Zen Micro
<$150 - 1Gb Zen Nano Plus or 1Gb Muvo S200

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 15
thanks for all the replies everyone

i don't think i want something as big as a zen micro, i think i want to make it a small one once again

does the zen nano plus or n200/s200 offer any advantages over the muvo tx fm besides fm radio presets? if it's all the same i'd rather have the 1gb muvo tx fm that doubles as a pen drive, the muvo is rated for over 90 snr while the zen nano plus and n200/s200 are up to 90, what do you think?

wish i can just switch out the memory in my muvo nx for 1 or 2 gb, looks like i'm going to be buying the same thing only with more capacity

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I would recommend a Zen Micro/Photo just becuase I have one, its not as big as you think (where do you stash your Muvo now? Chances are, the Zen can be stashed there), and you can build a SPIFFY altoid box holder for it (great convo piece, and people always look at you funny when you bust that thing out. Then again, if you have huge headphones already...)
eggosmile.gif

I've had the Zen Nano and I can't really say I liked it at all. After listening to the Micro or iPod, the nano seems quite lacking :-/. If you want sound quality though, supposedly the 1 GB Apple Shuffle is extraordinarily good (never tried it, but theres a few threads on the topic). Might wanna give that a try.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 15
SNR sometimes don't tell you the entire story about the SQ of some DAPs. Just a wise word of warning.

How about getting one of the new Sandisk flash players? Called the e200, up to 6GB, and you can throw in a Micro SD card to increase capacity, in case you ever run out of space.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
SNR sometimes don't tell you the entire story about the SQ of some DAPs. Just a wise word of warning.

i have the muvo nx and it's very good so far, i was just wondering if the nano is worse than the muvo

i'm going to consider the zen micro....hmm tough decision, i really like that the muvo doubles as a pen drive and the capacity on the zen micro is tempting too, guess i'm going to bestbuy this weekend just to hold the zen micro in my hand to see how big it really is LOL

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 15
how about the ipod nano?

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm surprised the Cowon iAudios haven't gotten more mentions in this thread. Rally nice sounding players, with the ability to customize sound if the already-good "default" sound doesn't suit you. I've got the iAudio 5 (uses AAA batteries; the G3 uses AA and the U2 has a built-in).

I find the 1GB Creatives easier to use -- as ehcanadian said, establishing different folders and playing either randomly or sequentially within them is pretty nice. I have noticed that my older Muvo TX (pen drive connection)seems more substantial than my smaller, newer Zen Nano (USB cable connection) -- and maybe it sounds a little better, but I haven't worried about it enough to compare them head to head. Not as excellent sounding as the iAudio, though.

If you don't mind having to use software to swap out songs, and you don't need a radio, the (soon to be replaced or discontinued?) iPod Shuffle is supposed to sound very good, indeed.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 15
Hm, I've had my Microphoto for over 3ish? months now and no problems at all. Software isn't THAT bad (and with at max 8 GBs of songs, organizing isnt that big of a problem). That is, if you are a windows user. Synchs straight up with WMP and tada! you're done. One warning about the Microphoto though, the OLED screen will cause interference with your headphones (ie high pitched whine). Once the screen fades out (a few seconds of non-touching) you just get nice sound
580smile.gif

I've heard lots of great things about the iAudios (and that's probably going to be my next MP3 if I ever get another one). But seriously, I'd just head over to BestBuy and check out some of their open models. They should have the MicroPhoto, Micro, Shuffle, and Nano to compare.

If you really need the USB key drive capacity tho, you're probably going to have to stick with the Muvo (maybe shuffle? Never really looked at that thing close up). That is the only one I know (other than the Sony Bean or whatever that thing is) that offers plug/play without a cable adaptor.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 15
i read the thread about the shuffle vs. nano and just went out to bestbuy and bought the 1gb shuffle, can't wait to try it out

thanks for all the help everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 15
very nice, more crisp and laid back, less colourful and upfront than the muvo, initial impressions are it sounds a bit better than the muvo, i'll have to listen to it a lot more to really tell, the two things i don't like about it is having to use software that makes it more troublesome than the muvo especially when putting both data and music on and that enabling it to be able to store data renders the charging status indicator useless so i have to disable data storage when charging and enable it again when charged, lithium ion is nice - no more bringing extra batteries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back