Recommend Me a Turntable
Aug 15, 2009 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
Before I start, I have read the sticky up top.
I'm looking for a decent sounding turntable that is reliable and cheap. I'm a student, so I probably can't spend to much money, so I will probably end up buying secondhand with a new cart. I'm relatively new to vinyl, but my dad has just given me his huge lp collection, and i've recently being going out buying new and secondhand records to play. So a decent tt, that is reliable, lasts a long time without maintainance and relatively cheap. I've heard really good things about the Technics SL-1200 series, but it's a bit expensive from what I've found (new, around $900 locally!). Live in Australia, but I probably can purchase from international sources.

Thanks,
-CaptHowie

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 35
you could always start with one of the rega planars

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 35
Project audio produces fine budget decks, don't know if they are easily available in Australia. The Sl-1200 as a good reputation as a reliable unit and is upgradable to a rega arm...it's quite expensive but you may find it used...

Remember you also have to look for a phono preamp if you don't have one.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 35
A cheap version of the Technics 1200 is the Audio Technica AT-PL120. Best thing new for its price. Where the Technics uses all metal, the PL-120 substitutes plastic and that's why it's cheaper.

It has one main advantage over any other new turntable for its price is that you can easily interchange cartridges by interchanging headshells, and the headshells go for about 10 bucks US on Ebay.

If it is cheaper than a Rega or Pro-Ject in Australia, go for it. And while it has a built in phono preamp, I would only use it if you have to, there are better preamps, or use the phono imput on a receiver if it has one.

It isn't perfect, but it's the best thing available for the money new in the US. Otherwise you are going to have to look around for a used table. I have bought 5 used tables and I got lucky 4 times out of 5.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 35
A cheap version of the Technics 1200 is the Audio Technica AT-PL120. Best thing new for its price. Where the Technics uses all metal, the PL-120 substitutes plastic and that's why it's cheaper.

It has one main advantage over any other new turntable for its price is that you can easily interchange cartridges by interchanging headshells, and the headshells go for about 10 bucks US on Ebay.

If it is cheaper than a Rega or Pro-Ject in Australia, go for it. And while it has a built in phono preamp, I would only use it if you have to, there are better preamps, or use the phono imput on a receiver if it has one.

It isn't perfect, but it's the best thing available for the money new in the US. Otherwise you are going to have to look around for a used table. I have bought 5 used tables and I got lucky 4 times out of 5.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 35
I've heard a lot of good things about the Project and Rega turntables, but the problem is getting them in Australia, albeit price. The Technics is way too expensive here (AU$1000 as they haven't updated their prices to reflect the exchange rate) and the Audio Technica is around $250-$300 on first glance. I'll keep looking around if you recommend it. It looks like a DJ turntable, but considering it is a copy of the SL-1200 which was originally designed as a hi-fi tt, it could be. Any more recommendations on that or others? People have told me to stay away from the USB turntables, even considering there are Panasonic Technics/Pioneer ones available.

-CaptHowie

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 35
There are NO good usb turntables except for possibly the Pro-Ject one. I don't usually recommend purchasing a used turntable for someone new to vinyl, but it may be your best bet given your budget and the new selection available to you.

Shipping a turntable is a risky proposition at best requiring specialized packaging, expertise on the part of the packer and care in the handling and transportation. They're also bulky and heavy. Shipping internationally would cost you a fortune and the table is 50/50 to arrive intact. You're much better off to purchase locally where you can pick it up yourself and hopefully see it functioning.

Only new tables are maintenance-free and then only for the first couple of years. If the table is working to start with, then there are various online resources that can assist you with setup and maintenance (not that difficult) as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort and aren't a total fumble-fingers.

Direct-drive turntables are less fiddly to set up than belt drive turntables. However cheap belt drives are more likely to sound better than cheap direct-drives. Technics tables are usually a safe choice as far as sound goes. I prefer the "S" shaped tonearms to the straight. If you want to get into a more audiophile sound, then you could look for a used Rega Planar 3 or Rega Planar 2. The Revolver Rebel is also very good. There's minimal maintenace required for these. Fons, Ariston, Systemdek and Thorens turntables can sometimes be found at very reasonable prices. These require considerably more work, but sound considerably better in the end. Look around, you might find a gem. You should at least be able to find a competent table and you can refer to the budget table thread as reference.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are NO good usb turntables except for possibly the Pro-Ject one. I don't usually recommend purchasing a used turntable for someone new to vinyl, but it may be your best bet given your budget and the new selection available to you.

Shipping a turntable is a risky proposition at best requiring specialized packaging, expertise on the part of the packer and care in the handling and transportation. They're also bulky and heavy. Shipping internationally would cost you a fortune and the table is 50/50 to arrive intact. You're much better off to purchase locally where you can pick it up yourself and hopefully see it functioning.

Only new tables are maintenance-free and then only for the first couple of years. If the table is working to start with, then there are various online resources that can assist you with setup and maintenance (not that difficult) as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort and aren't a total fumble-fingers.

Direct-drive turntables are less fiddly to set up than belt drive turntables. However cheap belt drives are more likely to sound better than cheap direct-drives. Technics tables are usually a safe choice as far as sound goes. I prefer the "S" shaped tonearms to the straight. If you want to get into a more audiophile sound, then you could look for a used Rega Planar 3 or Rega Planar 2. The Revolver Rebel is also very good. There's minimal maintenace required for these. Fons, Ariston, Systemdek and Thorens turntables can sometimes be found at very reasonable prices. These require considerably more work, but sound considerably better in the end. Look around, you might find a gem. You should at least be able to find a competent table and you can refer to the budget table thread as reference.

I think I might go to the local market next weekend to have a look for one. I saw a whole Pioneer system last time I went, complete with turntable, reciever, preamp and speakers for $60, but couldn't transport it back home.
mad.gif
Anyway, I'll go and see what I can find. I'm good with my hands, and I can work around electronics (e.g. solder, splice and replace cables, replace caps, resistors, transformers and the like) and i'll have time over the weekends to maintain the system (school...). I'm willing to get this working since my dad's LP/single collection is pretty comprehensive, so it's worth the effort. I'll print out the list off the sticky and see what I can find. Are there any helpful resources to help me maintain the thing and get it setup?

-CaptHowie

Edit:
In Australia...
Rega P1 - $520
Pro-Ject III Debut - $550
Way too much unfortunately...

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just pickup a new project for £200, job done.

See bottom of post above. Just updated it with the local prices...

-CaptHowie

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 35
The Vinyl Engine is a good resource (vinylengine.com). They have various set up guides and tools. They carry a comprehensive library of manuals for vintage turntables that you can download after you register. Audiokarma.org is to vintage turntables and electronics what Head-Fi is to headphones.

Start there. You're welcome to PM me or post here if you have any other questions. Search this sub-forum as well. I'm a prolific poster on turntables and set up
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok look for ex-demo tables at hi-fi shops. Ones in the market are probably going to be in a bad shape. Tables bundled in a with midi system are pretty low quality.

Ex-demo in specialized hi-fi shops?
I know what you mean about low-quality tables in consoles, I've got one which is what I want to replace.
biggrin.gif
The console itself is awesome, A+ components inside, but the table isn't too flash (Garrard 6-300).

Yay! 100th post.
o2smile.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Vinyl Engine is a good resource (vinylengine.com). They have various set up guides and tools. They carry a comprehensive library of manuals for vintage turntables that you can download after you register. Audiokarma.org is to vintage turntables and electronics what Head-Fi is to headphones.

Start there. You're welcome to PM me or post here if you have any other questions. Search this sub-forum as well. I'm a prolific poster on turntables and set up
tongue.gif

Ah, I stumbled upon Vinyl Engine the other day when I was trying to find out about my console turntable. It looks like a great site, already signed up in the forums. I've also been on AudioKarma before as well, and already have a user account there (speaker building...). I'll be sure to have a look at the turntable forums there. You've been a great help NightOwl, thanks.

-CaptHowie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back