Recommend me a Speaker Amp...
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 25
  Hey guys one more thing would I need to get the Modi 2 Uber? I'm going though everything and It seems I don't need it. My turntable doesn't need it. I'm just wondering if i need it to amp up my speaker ----> computer.

What do you have your turntable plugged into??

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 25
  What do you have your turntable plugged into??

I went over it in another thread. They told me TT ---->Preamp ----->Amp----> Speaker. But they said since my Numark TTUSB has a built in preamp and can be upped with another preamp. I dont want to waste money so I'll just plug it in to an amp then speaker.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 25
  Hey guys one more thing would I need to get the Modi 2 Uber? I'm going though everything and It seems I don't need it. My turntable doesn't need it. I'm just wondering if i need it to amp up my speaker ----> computer.

Modi is a DAC. DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. TT is analogue already.

I went over it in another thread. They told me TT ---->Preamp ----->Amp----> Speaker. But they said since my Numark TTUSB has a built in preamp and can be upped with another preamp. I dont want to waste money so I'll just plug it in to an amp then speaker.

FYI, a preamp that controls the volume of a poweramp is not the same as a TT phono preamp,on top of which, you'd have to use a cartridge compatible with the preamp (or vice versa) - that means you can't use a Moving Magnet cartridge on a preamp designed for a Moving Coil Cartridge and vice versa. Think of the phono preamp as the analog output stage on a CDP/DAC, and the cartridge as the laser needle and the DAC chip.

Green - volume knob for preamp that controls volume; Orange - input for Phono Preamp (which still goes through the preamp that controls the volume)

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 25

Modi is a DAC. DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. TT is analogue already.

FYI, a preamp that controls the volume of a poweramp is not the same as a TT phono preamp,on top of which, you'd have to use a cartridge compatible with the preamp (or vice versa) - that means you can't use a Moving Magnet cartridge on a preamp designed for a Moving Coil Cartridge and vice versa. Think of the phono preamp as the analog output stage on a CDP/DAC, and the cartridge as the laser needle and the DAC chip.

Green - volume knob for preamp that controls volume; Orange - input for Phono Preamp (which still goes through the preamp that controls the volume

I know its a digital to analog converter. But I wasn't talking about my turntable I was talking about needing a dac for speakers to amps to computer. The guy was asking about my turntable and I was to lazy to put "phono". lol my bad X)

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 25
Maybe I need a class in grammer. X)

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 25
So do I need the Modi 2 if I want to connect the amp and speaker to my computer? This is the only thing im confused on.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 25
  So do I need the Modi 2 if I want to connect the amp and speaker to my computer? This is the only thing im confused on.

Well you can just hook up a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the 3.5mm analog audio output from the mobo to the Magni2U's input, then you just run another RCA cable from the Magni2U's preamp output to the active monitors.

EDIT: The downside there is that you'll have to scroll to the lower right, click the speaker icon, then move the slider to change the volume; alternately, you can get up, reach over to where the knobs on the active speakers are (twice if they're pro monitors with one amp on each speaker cabinet). If the Magni2U was there, you just twist the Magni2U's knob - done.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 25

Well you can just hook up a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the 3.5mm analog audio output from the mobo to the Magni2U's input, then you just run another RCA cable from the Magni2U's preamp output to the active monitors.

+1. You will need the Magni 2 Uber which has a phono pre-amp out as ProtegeManiac suggested above. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 25
Got it everyone! Thanks for all the huge help! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back