Recommend me a sound card for Grados
May 3, 2006 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

maoci

New Head-Fier
I would like to drive SR-225 or SR-125. I will use it primarily for music ( not for games, movies,etc.) My limit is 150-200$ for the card. Which one is the best choice for me? And do I need to add amp or other hardware?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by maoci
I would like to drive SR-225 or SR-125. I will use it primarily for music ( not for games, movies,etc.) My limit is 150-200$ for the card. Which one is the best choice for me? And do I need to add amp or other hardware?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

This about $60.00 over budget... I have an E-MU 1212m. When I want to use my headphones with the PC I run the E-MU to a PA2V2 and then the 225s.

The sound is awesome.

May 3, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 11
I'd recommend an inexpensive USB DAC over a soundcard. Computers kick off a lot of stray RF and other noise, and you'll probably pick that up on your Grados.

The SilverStone EB01 is just $90. With what you have left over, you could get a decent portable amp or build a Millett Hybrid. I think you'd be happier with that route over just a soundcard.

May 3, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I'd recommend an inexpensive USB DAC over a soundcard. Computers kick off a lot of stray RF and other noise, and you'll probably pick that up on your Grados.

The SilverStone EB01 is just $90. With what you have left over, you could get a decent portable amp or build a Millett Hybrid. I think you'd be happier with that route over just a soundcard.

Somebody always chimes in with EMI and RF stuff when soundcards come into play but IMHO it would take some pretty extreme circumstances to produce these ill affects. Has anybody really heard any noise through their headphones that was actually caused by the PC's innards, under normal conditions with clean power and no faulty hardware?

I’d also say that a DAC is not a better option if you also want to drive multimedia speakers. An E-MU 1212m and Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s is an unbeatable setup at that price point. You will grim from ear to ear with a properly configured system. And as I said before you can add a PA2V2 for $60.00 more and you will have a very nice headphone setup as well. It will sound as good or better than most bottom tier DACs. You would have to spend hundreds more for a noticeable improvement.

May 5, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 11
my laptop makes horrible emi through the whole usb bus when the backlight is on (when the lid is up) and the transit seems to want to pass the noise through I reconnected it with a usb with a ferrite and it slightly reduced the noise but I still have to close the lid if I want to listen to music. I am running it as my desktop though so I still have a big crt hooked up I just wish I could use the extra screen as my foobar screen without it making so much noise.

May 5, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmacox
my laptop makes horrible emi through the whole usb bus when the backlight is on (when the lid is up) and the transit seems to want to pass the noise through I reconnected it with a usb with a ferrite and it slightly reduced the noise but I still have to close the lid if I want to listen to music. I am running it as my desktop though so I still have a big crt hooked up I just wish I could use the extra screen as my foobar screen without it making so much noise.

No such problems with any internal/PCI soundcard I have ever owned.

May 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 11
A sound card is not designed to 'drive' headphones, per se. It is a digitial to analogue adapter first It may have a limited headphone amplifer on its headphone out, but certainly any sound card below $400 (with the exception, perhaps, of the Zhaolu DAC) is beat by a $40 CMoy.

May 5, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm amping it with a LD2 not hooking my headphones directly to the transit.. it's the usb carrying the noise the LD2 has great low-noise sound when I hooked it up to my archos.

May 5, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmacox
I'm amping it with a LD2 not hooking my headphones directly to the transit.. it's the usb carrying the noise the LD2 has great low-noise sound when I hooked it up to my archos.

I'm confused. How would the USB carry noise? It's a digital connection so it should be immune to noise. Is the device being powered by the USB as well? I guess noise could come in on the power pins and be introduced in the analog stage if there is no filtering. Hmm... anyone care to explain?

May 6, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 11
ditto Chelrob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back