Recommend me a headphone ( system )
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

snip3r77

Headphoneus Supremus
Went to my friend's house and was able to sample quite a bit of his collection, about 10 of these.

But these are the 2 that really came out tops which are powered by a tube amp optimized for 32ohm and he was using the Dragonfly DAC.

Tried the Alessandro MS-1 ( Modded ). Fell in love with vocals which is the most forward of all. Very intimate and good dynamics. 

Tried his Beyer DT 880 250ohm ( old production version ).
Vocals are pretty similar but the bass is punchier.

I brought my ODAC+O2 down too and when the Beyer was swapped to this. It felt pretty detailed clean and clinical. The vocals is not as rich and the bass does not have the oomph. It means that I like the tube amp signature not the amp can't drive it properly because it's lean sounding?

I kind of love his combo rather than mine and hence I'm search for a new system or perhaps just a pair of headphones.

Some of the headphones that I have shortlisted
1) HE400 ( have not heard before )
2) Beyer 880 or 990 - 600ohm version
( recommended by my friend too )
3) Sennheiser 650 or 700. I have access to good price ( have not heard before )
4) Anything else that I should audition

I'm prepared to sell my ODAC+O2 for a better amp that can combo better with my new headphones but if possible I will still want to retain it.

Would like to seek the pros here 
1) should I change my O2 ODAC?
2) any other headphones that I should consider? 

Thanks

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 18
What's your budget and what kind of music do you listen to?

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 18
Budget would be 1,000 assuming I'd be getting an amp too.

Music genre : vocals, jazz, electronic, rocks.

I understand that one gets more than one phone for separate genre but I would like to start one that can do it all as much as possible.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 18
I recommend the HiFiman HE-500 as a great all around HP.  You need an amp that can deliver at least one watt into 38 ohms for best results.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Budget would be 1,000 assuming I'd be getting an amp too.

Music genre : vocals, jazz, electronic, rocks.

I understand that one gets more than one phone for separate genre but I would like to start one that can do it all as much as possible.

Thanks

Heya,

Hifiman HE-400 with your current setup (O2/ODAC). Or, go ahead and step up to the HE-500/LCD2 and consider maybe getting a new amp (but keep the ODAC). If you go to the HE-500, I would suggest you use the remainder of the budget to get a speaker amplifier and a cable adapter with banana plugs / speaker taps, to allow you to plug it right into a speaker amp.

Alternatively, go DT880 250ohm, and keep your ODAC but get a warm tubey OTL tube amp, like the Little Dot MK III, IV or a Dark Voice 337 or something like that.

And alternatively to that, you can keep your O2 Amp, but maybe change your ODAC to a TubeMagic D2 for a tube-dac, to add tubey warmth to any solid state setup.

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 18
How does the HE400 compares to the Beyer DT880 250ohms? If I go up a notch to 600ohms would the O2 be able to drive it properly?

Thanks.

For tube amps I'm actually looking at the Little Dots your mention, maybe Woo Audio or the Bottlehead crack or maybe the Lyrr. 
Quote:

Heya,

Hifiman HE-400 with your current setup (O2/ODAC). Or, go ahead and step up to the HE-500/LCD2 and consider maybe getting a new amp (but keep the ODAC). If you go to the HE-500, I would suggest you use the remainder of the budget to get a speaker amplifier and a cable adapter with banana plugs / speaker taps, to allow you to plug it right into a speaker amp.

Alternatively, go DT880 250ohm, and keep your ODAC but get a warm tubey OTL tube amp, like the Little Dot MK III, IV or a Dark Voice 337 or something like that.

And alternatively to that, you can keep your O2 Amp, but maybe change your ODAC to a TubeMagic D2 for a tube-dac, to add tubey warmth to any solid state setup.

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
How does the HE400 compares to the Beyer DT880 250ohms? If I go up a notch to 600ohms would the O2 be able to drive it properly?

Thanks.

For tube amps I'm actually looking at the Little Dots your mention, maybe Woo Audio or the Bottlehead crack or maybe the Lyrr. 

Heya,

The HE400/DT880 have tons of reviews; I would just search some up. They're similar. The HE400 has better speed, mids and bass extension. The DT880 is cheaper, but otherwise is a great neutral warm headphone with plenty of detail and extension. The O2 can drive the Beyers fine. I wouldn't bother getting the 600ohm unless it's just cheaper, the 250ohm and 600ohm are nearly identical honestly. I would get the 250ohm to simply keep it simple to amplify should you change amplifiers in the future.

Also, if you're considering the Woo or a Bottlehead or Lyr, I think you're going to bust your budget by a healthy sum.

Very best,

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 18
I like HD600 a lot, but HE-500 absolutely murder them in sound quality, it's not even close.  If your budget forces you to choose between HE-500 and your existing amp or the Beyers/Senns with a new amp, you will take a huge hit in sound quality with the second option.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back