recommend me a great portable headphone amp under 1000?
Apr 9, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

m.hamner

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, Bloke from Sydney here. Buying JH16s next month and need a good set up for my iphone, as it will most likely be where i'm listening to the most music.

Can you recommend a good portable headamp and accessories needed to set up the iphone as a great player?

really new to the industry so i plead ignorance.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 19
and you know this how?,

OP, for a grand you have many options with the protector just happening to be FOTM, before dropping that sort of cash I would do more research and try not to just fall into the hype that goes with the protector. no doubt its a great amp, but A, its actually not strictly balanced, as the signal is referenced to ground and then floated on output and B, the pico slim may actually be a better choice, hell you could commission a balanced out portable dac and buy 2 x pico slim to run in dual mono for around that figure
wink.gif
the lisa III mini will be out then too.

the point is there are many options available for that money and dont just buy the line that balanced is always better, especially when the signal isnt coming from a balanced source, so all noise from before that point is coupled into the signal, so all you get more voltage swing, which isnt really needed for JH16 anyway and a few feet of noise rejection in the cable. also when compared to an amp that has an 18v battery (rather than the protector's +/-9-10vdc) and isnt 'balanced out' they have the same power as well.

I'm just saying, when choosing a dream rig and dropping that sort of green, I would look past what is just popular at the moment. its also possible that the G9 device will be available by then, which allows you to get digital output from your iphone, making it a pretty nifty portable source and allowing you to use any portable dac with (likely spdif) digital input (not USB)

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 19
FWIW, The Protector runs at 16.8V (or somewhere there abouts), not 10. And I think The Protector sounds quite fine, but all I can compare it to is my iBasso T3 and Heed CanAmp.

It's a shame Ryuzoh fell off the face of the Earth with the FiQuest.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and you know this how?,

Because its an answer in the tradition and spirit of noobe Head-Fi !!!
You must tell everyone the FOTM
smily_headphones1.gif

The correct answer, totally breaking Head-Fi Etiquette is,...

There isnt one correct answer.

Look at all the top reviewed amps out there and go listen to them and choose.
No single person can tell you what is best.

The Protector just may be the best amp, but you cant just say it is without direct comparison with the Op's setup and in comparison to all the other top choices.

You got Lisa lll , Iqube, StepDance, 3Move, Pico, Predator, ....just so many amps to compare. Start with Skylabs amp review so you have a list of most of whats out there, and search reviews, come up with the top 5, then go listen to them with your own music and equipment.

You can also check all the sellers listed on Head-Fi and see whatever Skylab didnt review and look all over head-Fi and the internet for reviews.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, The Protector runs at 16.8V (or somewhere there abouts), not 10. And I think The Protector sounds quite fine, but all I can compare it to is my iBasso T3 and Heed CanAmp.

It's a shame Ryuzoh fell off the face of the Earth with the FiQuest.

errm, where did I say it runs on 10v? I guess you dont know what +/-9-10v is, in fact I was being generous, +/-9-10v is 18-20v point to point. yeah dont know when ryuzoh is gonna get his act together, glad I got in on the first run, because the fiquest has +/-9vdc power supply (9v in each phase) so has more swing too, so a few feet of noise rejection is the only technical advantage and I would be interested in seeing which had more swing, i'm thinking the FiQ and not by a small margin. ryuzoh is around though, Spud just got his amp back from getting blackgates installed, guess hes busy with asian market or something.

and yeah I repeat, i'm not saying its a bad amp, i'm sure its a very good amp, but there are several that compete favorably with it, so all these people getting around the forum recommending it as a clear winner so forget the others and often without any personal knowledge; gets a bit tiresome.

especially when we are talking about an IEM specific amp

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 19
I like the way my TTVJ slim matches up with my Iphone 3gs, great sound with TF10's...easy to travel/commute/do anything with...

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 19
qusp;6545931 said:
errm, where did I say it runs on 10v? I guess you dont know what +/-9-10v is, in fact I was being generous, +/-9-10v is 18-20v point to point.QUOTE]

Sorry, I misread your statement.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

and you know this how?,

OP, for a grand you have many options with the protector just happening to be FOTM, before dropping that sort of cash I would do more research and try not to just fall into the hype that goes with the protector. no doubt its a great amp, but A, its actually not strictly balanced, as the signal is referenced to ground and then floated on output and B, the pico slim may actually be a better choice, hell you could commission a balanced out portable dac and buy 2 x pico slim to run in dual mono for around that figure
wink.gif
the lisa III mini will be out then too.

the point is there are many options available for that money and dont just buy the line that balanced is always better, especially when the signal isnt coming from a balanced source, so all noise from before that point is coupled into the signal, so all you get more voltage swing, which isnt really needed for JH16 anyway and a few feet of noise rejection in the cable. also when compared to an amp that has an 18v battery (rather than the protector's +/-9-10vdc) and isnt 'balanced out' they have the same power as well.

I'm just saying, when choosing a dream rig and dropping that sort of green, I would look past what is just popular at the moment. its also possible that the G9 device will be available by then, which allows you to get digital output from your iphone, making it a pretty nifty portable source and allowing you to use any portable dac with (likely spdif) digital input (not USB)

wee wee impressive answer
beyersmile.png

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

errm, where did I say it runs on 10v? I guess you dont know what +/-9-10v is, in fact I was being generous, +/-9-10v is 18-20v point to point.

Sorry, I misread your statement.

no need to apologize, easy enough to do I suppose, if you havent seen that notation before

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericcis
wee wee impressive answer

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 19
OP, since we do not know where you are located since you have not filled out your profile we can not recommend you attend a meet close to you. So fill out your profile and try to find a meet close by to try different amps so YOU make the decision.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone copy the link that explains the g9 device in detail? sounds pretty interesting.

Go to the ALO sponsor forum and look up the G9 thread.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 19
yes, sorry GR9, but although he doers have a working prototype, now they have to wait for apple to OK the release. which could be indefinitely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back