recommend me a good set of headphones or a way to make mine better?
Oct 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ganon11000

New Head-Fier
I still don't get how half of this stuff works, don't get me wrong I am a computer engineer, but am new to audio stuff.

I have a ASRock N68-VS3 FX and am using onboard sound (48K / 24Bit) with skull candy hesh (V1) headphones.

I feel that the is something missing in the sound quality. I've been looking at a Fiio E07K and was wondering if my headphones could cope or if I need only headphones etc..

Thank you for your help

-ganon11000

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 14
No, you'll need a better dac/amp.  I'd recommed the fiio e10. As for headphones, the MDR V6, and Philips Citiscape Uptown are great.

What bit rate are your mp3s (if they are mp3's and not lossless)?

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 14
If 100 GBP is your max budget for everything, you'd get a bigger upgrade by focusing on headphones. A new DAC/amp and new headphones would be better still, but headphones usually make the biggest difference. Using a Fiio on Skullcandy seems silly, and Sony MDR V6 are fine without an amp (though a better DAC would still increase detail and clarity and amp wouldn't hurt either).

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 14
The dac is really the problem.  The xonar DG is also great. The DG is around $30, and the V6 is around $70.  I don't know how that translates to Euros but it should add up.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 14
  I still don't get how half of this stuff works, don't get me wrong I am a computer engineer, but am new to audio stuff.
I have a ASRock N68-VS3 FX and am using on-board sound (48K / 24Bit) with skull candy hesh (V1) headphones.
I feel that the is something missing in the sound quality. I've been looking at a Fiio E07K and was wondering if my headphones could cope or if I need only headphones etc..

Getting the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, is a low cost way of improving the audio quality, over the motherboard on-board audio.
The Xonar DG sells for $26 in the USA.
For the kind of cash your willing to spend for the FiiO E07K ($90, USA), you would be better to spend on better headphones.

Remember to disable the motherboard on-board audio (in the BIOS) when an internal sound card is installed.
Also try the third party software driver "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 14
So a sound card is the way to go? I was looking at the Asus DS but it didn't seem good for or windows 7?

If I get the Asus DG / PCI (I have no pci-e x1 slots) what £50 do you recommend?

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 14
So a sound card is the way to go? I was looking at the Asus DS but it didn't seem good for or windows 7?

If I get the Asus DG / PCI (I have no pci-e x1 slots) what £50 do you recommend?

Asus has had Win 8 drivers for the Xonar DS for the past year
Can't see any reason why Win 7 would have a problem with the Xonar DS.
Headphone for 50 GBP?

Samson SR-950 closed headphone or SR-850 open headphone.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 14
So these headphones http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Samson-SR950-Studio-Reference-Headphones/SUR?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Samson&utm_content=z3BwRmUS|dm_pcrid_34028316559_plid__kword__match__And this sound card? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002BZL42K/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1381741907&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

And are there any better headphones because I have £100 total to spend and the sound card is only ~£36 leaving £64 instead of £50 :)

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 14
I'd recommend reading about the technical aspects, starting with output impedance of sources

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=headphone+output+impedance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So much of this stuff is not measured or verified at all, yet costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. looking at frequency response graphs of a phone is a good idea too. 

as for phones. I would listen to stuff first. If not, just gamble on some stuff that's not so expensive. I've heard most of the expensive stuff and I really think it's more about subjective preferences than anything. Even phones that cost multiple thousands of dollars can have serious flaws. Some of my favorites are Yamaha Pro 400, AKG 550, Amperior, SR-60, K701, and AKG 240. Also depends a lot on your source recordings. A lot of music has so much compression, static, harshness, clipping, etc, that there isn't much point in spending a lot of money on stuff to play it on.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 14
So these headphones http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Samson-SR950-Studio-Reference-Headphones/SUR?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Samson&utm_content=z3BwRmUS|dm_pcrid_34028316559_plid__kword__match__And this sound card? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002BZL42K/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1381741907&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

And are there any better headphones because I have £100 total to spend and the sound card is only ~£36 leaving £64 instead of £50
smily_headphones1.gif

Could there be better headphones for 64 GBP, yes, do I personally know of any, not really.
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) are good sounding headphones, for their low price.

These are low costing and best audio quality, for the price, headphones that I know of.
Takstar
Superlux
Samson (made by Superlux)

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 14
  Could there be better headphones for 64 GBP, yes, do I personally know of any, not really.
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) are good sounding headphones, for their low price.

These are low costing and best audio quality, for the price, headphones that I know of.
Takstar
Superlux
Samson (made by Superlux)

thank's guys :) I think I will go with the Samson's or the Takstar's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back