Recommend me a CHEAP bike!
Sep 16, 2006 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
My current bike is on the way out, and I need something new to get me around campus. Doesn't really matter what features it has as long as it's got at least one working brake, doesn't even have to have more that one gear
smily_headphones1.gif
i don't need shocks or anything else fancy.

I do NOT want to spend more than $200, and I'd like to spend less if possible. Is there any types I should take a look at (online or locally)? Or do I need to go straight to the used market?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF
Go to Target or Walmart or whatever and buy one there. Most of them are under $100.

my last one was from target and was under $100. it lasted me about 1 year exactly.

i took it in for a tune up and they said to replace all the broke/worn out parts would be more than the cost of the bike.

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Hit up bike shops and craigslist. Maybe eBay too. You can find a lot of bulletproof old road bikes (70s-80s, maybe even older) for cheap. You can come close to the $200 price point on a new, quality mountainbike too, near the end of the year. They will discount them to make space for new models.

Sep 16, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Go find an 'oldschool' or 'local' bike shop. Not sure if you can find them where you live, but the town I live in is very bike friendly so there are numerous bike shops. A few of them are very old and have a very interesting selection of used bikes in the back that they aquire and fix up to sell. I was looking through a bunch of 80's Cannondale's they had and really liked one. I told them I was interested. They said something along the lines of it is not for sale yet. So I went back two more times. The 3rd time they were annoyed and finally said "maybe", so I said what would you want for it. They said how about $200, so I bought it. It is a great bike and I have been using it for a few years now...plus even with all the modifications I have made it is still quite a bit less than what a new Cannondale would have gone for. Garage/yard sales are also very good sometimes. You can get a great junker road bike for $20.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 14
www.craigslist.com -- check their bikes section -- i got a gary fisher 2001 kaitai for 250 -- whatta a bargain, great bike ... with amazing control.

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Check with your local police department.
Around here they auction off the unclaimed bycycles once a year about this time of year.

bingo! after my own bike in college was stolen and used for a bike derby, then burned on a pyre, i went to the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it, but show up next semester and they'd be selling unclaimed bikes on the cheap. sure enough i show up and buy a gorgeous french bike for only 20 bucks. which then gets stolen later that year. college thieves are the worst.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Best advice: for a $200 budget on a bike, get a rigid. suspension bikes for that price are peices of crap, and generally fall apart within 2 days or less.

I also would suggest one of the 1980's/70's road bikes.

or even a brand new CCM/Supercycle commuter deal. They'll all work as long as you aren't hitting the trails/ getting massive air with them.

I have a $1000 Giant STP 2, great bike.

Sep 17, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 14
If you don't mind shopping around check out thrift shops. Once in a while you'll find an older bike in excellent condition. It was only a month ago that I bought a Raleigh road bike that was in nearly perfect condition (it had obviously been well cared for--all I had to do was put some air in the tires and dust her off)--plus it came with a panier rack, U-lock holder and pedal clips (which I've removed, for now)--all for only nine bucks. Can't beat that. Plus, if it gets stolen it's not too much of a loss.

Sep 17, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 14
thank guys, i've been looking at craglist and thrift shops, but haven't gotten to check out the police department yet. it's right down the road from my apartment, so i'll have to go ask them when the next auction is going to be. i think i might just have to pick up something really cheap at a thrift shop to use for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back