Recommend me a CD NOW!!!!
May 25, 2005 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Okay, im going to rolling stones tonight to get some cd's - you have approximately 1 HOUR to recommend something, i really don't care - i love radiohead, have been listening to a lot of bloc party recently, im a jazz head as well, humor me por favor...

May 25, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 28
Lateralus by Tool. or Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

May 26, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 28
I can't tell if that was sarcasm above or not. But I'll talk about one of my favorite bands at any opportunity
wink.gif

Spoon is a rock n roll band from Austin, Texas. They are on Merge Records (Superchunk, Arcade Fire, M. Ward). They combine elements of 60's British invasion, early punk, and blue-eyed soul, with healthy doses of sound experimentation. Interpol asked them to open for their current tour and asked Spoon frontman Britt Daniel to remix one of the tracks from Antics. I know from the other thread you indicated you like Interpol so I mentioned that.

Girls Can Tell (2001) is a good starter Spoon album because it is probably their most accessible and arguably their best. But their next two efforts Kill the Moonlight (2003) and Gimme Fiction (2005) are more experimental and depending on preference, more accomplished records. I like them all. Many fans long for their return to the early British punk sound of A Series of Sneaks (1998) but I think they are headed in an exciting direction.

May 26, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 28
I was not being fecetious at all, i really am curious and am always on the lookout for new stuff - according to your description and that i love interpol, it appears spoon may be up my alley, will check it out soon enough, thanks!

fiery furnaces - blueberry boat

massive attack -mezzanine

I got those already, but thanks for the recs!

May 26, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 28
Borat,

thank you for the spoon recommendation - i just picked up gimme fiction, pretty good at the start without any "break-in" of course (yes i said break in, i believe great albums as well as great equipment requires a burn in of sort to get acclimated to a new sound signature you may be unfamiliar with), i'll report back after i log in a couple more hours on this album, but very nice indeed.

Also picked up the new sleater-kinney, the new quasimoto, as well as the new gorillaz

May 26, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 28
Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Overnite Sensation. The lyrics are a trip but the guitar is what got me. I definitely think these guys influenced the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

May 26, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 28
Oh, I'm a big believer in "break-in" for music. I think that the most rewarding listens for me were records that didn't immediately capture me on first listen. Case in point - My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. My ears had to adjust to the stellar beauty and sexiness of what initially sounded like noise.

Spoon is no different. I only liked a couple of songs by them at first, the more accessible ones like "Anything You Want" and "Something to Look Forward To" But after listening to them for a while my favorites became the more subtle tracks like "Paper Tiger".

By the way, you have a lot of faith in the members here to just purchase an album blindly on recommendation. I feel somewhat responsible if you end up hating that record.
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat

By the way, you have a lot of faith in the members here to just purchase an album blindly on recommendation. I feel somewhat responsible if you end up hating that record.
wink.gif

Well, it beats buying equipment blindly on recommendation
eggosmile.gif

However, i do like my initial impressions of the album, so thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back