Recommend me a CD NOW!!!!
May 28, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by strokerace
recstar24: how do you like the new quasimoto album? been wanting to check it out, but haven't had a chance to.

Can't speak for him, but I have it and like it a lot.

May 29, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Overnite Sensation. The lyrics are a trip but the guitar is what got me. I definitely think these guys influenced the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'd go with One Size Fits All by Zappa; my all time fave Frank

On the jazz side, I just received My Funny Valentine on vinyl and it's awesome. Can't recommend it enough.

These may be too late for this trip but keep them in mind.

May 30, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 28
Amon Tobin's Bricolage and the album Permutation are firmly rooted in jazz but may set off your "techno" alarm if like myself you've had an ass full of really lame techno. But believe me these two albums are anything but lame. Bricolage is a tad bit better than Permutation but if recording quality is very important to you Permutation is very well mixed and has a very good production value.

Bonnie "prince" Billy's album I See A Darkness is by far the best album I've bought this year. Its very dark intimate folk vocals on top of pop-ish light piano and guitar. that discription doesn't do it any justice.

Give those 3 albums a listen to on amazon just to make sure you'll like them but I don't know anybody that hasn't out side of a personal dislike for that type of music.

May 30, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 28
i saw that you like radiohead...so i would suggest maybe muse? theyre a great band, and i would maybe reccomend either the album 'origin of symmetry' (harder to get in america0 or absolution...that ones definately welll worth the money.

May 31, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by strokerace
recstar24: how do you like the new quasimoto album? been wanting to check it out, but haven't had a chance to.

Oh, its wonderful - i have been a fan of the whole stones throw label ever since i was a DJ, its a great blend between old school break beats with new school underground type lyrics/beats, the sampling is great and the compositions are top notch, very enjoyable listen i can definitely groove to!

cpw, my funny valentine as in chet baker? yup ive got that already

as for the muse recommendation, yup ive got like every muse album lol...

i

May 31, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
...............By the way, you have a lot of faith in the members here to just purchase an album blindly on recommendation. I feel somewhat responsible if you end up hating that record.
wink.gif

I have been introduced to numerous great artists and groups through the Music forum. It is sort of tucked away and not frequented near as often as those on the hardware side. Sort of like an undiscovered country town. The posters here seem to enjoy the music more than the pursuit of more hardware and I value their advice.

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I have been introduced to numerous great artists and groups through the Music forum. It is sort of tucked away and not frequented near as often as those on the hardware side. Sort of like an undiscovered country town. The posters here seem to enjoy the music more than the pursuit of more hardware and I value their advice.

I concur...after scourging the hardware forums for my ideal rig, i realized that my next step was to get some more music lol. Bottom line, i think the music forum of any audio web-based community is the MOST important aspect, to me i would rather have the best music collection with a crappy boom box vs. a $$$ setup with nothing but britney spears to listen to!

It took me awhile to come to that conclusion and im glad i did because i need all the money i can muster for my upcoming engagement and wedding, but i love buying music blind based purely on recommendation esp. from head-fiers, a lot of you listen to what i listen and some of you listen to some real good music that normally i wouldn't consider, head-fi has opened up my ears to some awesome music i normally wouldn't bother with.

P.S - to the spoon recommendation i got earlier, thank you, this is a definite classic in my rig, i am digging it more and more as i listen, these guys totally rock and you recommended them based on what you knew i listened to, head-fi rocks!

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 28
I will add one thing though - i need to see more live music, that will be the ultimate completion to my musical journey, i would even love to see an offshoot of the music forum and have a live music forum where we can exchange and sell tickets to shows and offer carpools and generally just talk about the live concert experience as a whole, i think the more you listen to music live the bigger of an appreciation you have for your gear and music in general.

Some of my live highlights include, but are not limited to:

Radiohead - August 2001 Hutchinson Field Chicago, IL - OMG, these guys are my favorite band and they were simply amazing!

Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Ravinia - can't remember being swept with so much emotion and passion ever before, a thrilling experience to say the least

Mars Volta - their drummer is insane and they totally rock it out live but im glad i wasnt in the mosh circles!

Elmhurst College Buik Recital Hall - the place of the majority of my vocal performances as a music education major, i can still see the wood and mahogany of the venue and hear my voice simply resonate through the venue from corner to corner, such a beautiful and wonderfully acoustic place to perform it was a blessing to have performed there, ah well i guess i have choral concerts to conduct to look forward to lol...

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
P.S - to the spoon recommendation i got earlier, thank you, this is a definite classic in my rig, i am digging it more and more as i listen, these guys totally rock and you recommended them based on what you knew i listened to, head-fi rocks!

Yay! I can breathe a sigh of relief now. The best feeling is owning a record that you can listen to and love over and over. Conversely, the worst feeling is coming home after throwing down upwards of $18 on a cd and realizing how craptacular the music contained on it is. And not being able to return it because you opened it. I'm glad that's not the case for you with my suggestion.

Now that you know you can trust my musical recommendations, here are others you should get immediately:

Good Charlotte - Young and Hopeless
Nickelback - Silver Side Up
Puddle of Mudd - Come Clean
Joey Lawrence - Self-Titled (Whoa!)

Go get 'em!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Some of my live highlights include, but are not limited to:

Radiohead - August 2001 Hutchinson Field Chicago, IL - OMG, these guys are my favorite band and they were simply amazing!

I saw Radiohead in Sept 2003 at The Hollywood Bowl LA, CA. It would've been amazing, but we were literally seated a mile away from the stage. Thom and co. looked like tiny ants. They played "Nude (Big Ideas)" though, which was very cool.

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 28
update: I got series of sneaks from spoon and its definitely an awesome album, its recorded quite nicely too which is always a plus. A more punk-ish type sound that rocks a little harder than gimme fiction, which is what i was looking for.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #26 of 28
If you like both radiohead and mars volta, I want to suggest you to check out Jaga Jazzist, if you haven't already. A norwegian ten-piece bigband with horns. The first two albums (A Livingroom Hush and The Stix) are great, but very based on programmed drumming, and has a very digital sound (yet organic)...

The latest album What We Must is more based on guitars, and is more rock-like. Influenced by post-rockbands like Tortoise and GY!BE, but it also reminds me of classic progbands, especially King Crimson. The programmed drumming is completely gone, and to my amazement it actually works. Check it out! (This was all very blahblah, but it's great. Really!
wink.gif
)

Link

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingmarwa
The latest album What We Must is more based on guitars, and is more rock-like. Influenced by post-rockbands like Tortoise and GY!BE, but it also reminds me of classic progbands, especially King Crimson. The programmed drumming is completely gone, and to my amazement it actually works. Check it out! (This was all very blahblah, but it's great. Really!
wink.gif
)

Well. That sounds pretty down.

I just ordered it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back