Recommend For me a headphone amp please
May 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TiestoFan

100+ Head-Fier
Good afternoon,

I am fairly new to headphones, I have some Sony's, beyer dynamics, V-moda, and ATHm50. That being said I am looking for a headphone amp to supplement my new Beyerdynamic custom one pro headphones. I know the impedance on them is only 16 ohms but they just sound sooo low volume and I just want to be able to raise the volume by about 30% more. That being said, I am brand new to amps so please hook it up for me with a solid recommendation. I appreciate it a lot

May 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 20
The C&C BH gets good praise around these parts. $99 from eBay or Amazon, but it still ships from China.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 20
:D

May 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
biggrin.gif

what? lol

May 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 20
randomkid had a great reason all typed up as to why you should get the JDS Labs C5 for $185 then read you post about looking for something cheaper than the C&C...

You two basically posted at the same time.

So he backed it all out and offered the E11.

I just found it humorous...
All is good!
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 20
:) just read through the JDS Labs C5 tread. You wouldn't need to purchase any other amp. I and many people have no desire to get a different amp.

May 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 20
Can an amp fundamentally change the sound signature of headphones??? for instance...i have the Custom one pro and i love everything about it except for the mids bein slightly recessed thus giving the headphones a bit too much of a laid back feel. Are there any amps that bring out the mids a little more and turn the sound up in general? Furthermore,will all amps boost the sound volume up a little?

May 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 20
my non technical suggestion...
look for an amp with a HIGH / LO gain feature. 
the high gain will bring forward the mids a notch.

May 26, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 20
Amps are usually very flat across the frequency range so the changes they make to the sound is very minor, but all of them will boost the volume.

Here are two reviews by ClieOS that show the Coloration/Neutrality of various amps.

Sub $100 Shootout
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared

Sub $200 Shootout
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-12-10-amps-compared
beerchug.gif

May 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03 are great for their low 60$ price tag, too

The sub100 shoutout thread reviewed these as saying they were "lush" and "warm sounding" compared to the E11. I understand the warmer part, but what is lush exactly?? for an already warm bass heavy can like the custom one pro wouldn't it make sense to get something that is not also warm (JDS cmoy) and instead go for the e11?

May 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
The sub100 shoutout thread reviewed these as saying they were "lush" and "warm sounding" compared to the E11. I understand the warmer part, but what is lush exactly?? for an already warm bass heavy can like the custom one pro wouldn't it make sense to get something that is not also warm (JDS cmoy) and instead go for the e11?

Lush
 - Very Rich/Full.
Also : 
Lush (2)
 - A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage. (source: unkown headfier) 
(See : http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary)

But yeah, you're right. Usually you want an amp setup with characteristics slightly opposed to your headphones', so one will balance out the inequities of the other. However, you seemed to find the 99$ C&C too expensive, and the E11 being basically the same price, I thought you'd like a recommendation with a slightly lower tag price. If you can get the E11, then by all means do so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back