Recommend An Amp!
Jun 22, 2015 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kalypso

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, happy to pester you all with my first thread here on Head-Fi. After a tidbid of lurking i've finally joined another sound loving niche. I have a background in HiFi, owning 4 pairs of speakers and 3 Tripath powered amps.

But on to what really matters. I am currently looking for a headphone amp that would satisfy. Currently i'm really only looking to depart with around 50$. After poking around its hard to make that decision, and my budget makes that even more so. Now, i really don't NEED on, but i'd like to future proof myself with any more headphone impulse buys. The source would be a First gen (2013) Moto X, mostly streaming Pandora. Currently i have Xiaomi Piston III's, and about to receive TTPOD T1's. music genre's vary, but i stick around country, rap, rock, reggae, dubstep and some inbetweens. Bass boost is NOT neccessary, as i am really trying to get away from frequency devouring bass headphones. I hope thats a bit descript, and warm your guy's time. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 15
It would be better to just save your money and get a DAC-HPamp later on. As it is you're going to have to use the relatively not too good audio chip along with that amp. For most people these audio chips are good enough, but consider that it's compared to lugging around another piece of gear. if you're willing to lug around an additional brick, might as well get one that can bypass the amp's audio chip. The Ibasso D-Zero MkII is a bargain at $119 - you just need to order the short OTG cable they bundle with the D42 Mamba (AFAIK they don't bundle itwith the D-Zero). In any case check (search for the Android DACs thread and see if your Android is compatible.

You can even use a sync dock to keep the phone upright and just use regular OTG adapters (or if you'd still use the short cable, stack the dock over the DAC-HPamp). My SGS3 below with the first version of the D-Zero.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 15
Fiio E6 until you upgrade your headphones. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 15
portable is a must. And im not against used. I was looking at the topping nx1 considering 1 of my amps is made by them and i like it

That seems like a good choice. Then like inthere said, wait until you get better headphones and IEMs before spending a lot on an amp.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 15
It would be better to just save your money and get a DAC-HPamp later on. As it is you're going to have to use the relatively not too good audio chip along with that amp. For most people these audio chips are good enough, but consider that it's compared to lugging around another piece of gear. if you're willing to lug around an additional brick, might as well get one that can bypass the amp's audio chip. The Ibasso D-Zero MkII is a bargain at $119 - you just need to order the short OTG cable they bundle with the D42 Mamba (AFAIK they don't bundle itwith the D-Zero). In any case check (search for the Android DACs thread and see if your Android is compatible.

You can even use a sync dock to keep the phone upright and just use regular OTG adapters (or if you'd still use the short cable, stack the dock over the DAC-HPamp). My SGS3 below with the first version of the D-Zero.

My problem with that is since the motox has no sd card slot. I have to usea dongle to listen to my music other than pandora on my phone. Id agree the dac is useful. But my critical listening happens at home through a soundblaster z soundcard.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 15
My problem with that is since the motox has no sd card slot. I have to usea dongle to listen to my music other than pandora on my phone. Id agree the dac is useful. But my critical listening happens at home through a soundblaster z soundcard.

If critical listening happens at home through a soundblaster Z soundcard, best to just keep using an IEM that can be more easily driven by the MotoX than add to that stack - it'll be more convenient to lug around.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 15
Yea, my newly received TTPOD T1's sound great on the SBZ, but i need an extension, front panel audio picked up EMI. But, the sound on my laptop is nothing like it, but i was considering this combination for that, and i could take the Topping NX1 out with me to work etc.

This Dac: Ele EL-D01 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-CARD-ELNA-Capacitor-New-/231522396612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7cf69c4
And this Amp: Topping NX1 http://www.amazon.com/Topping-Portable-Earphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00HFMNR4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435055921&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+nx1&pebp=1435055930123&perid=044KPMKT8MM83P4JYDN1

I'm truly curious to what you guys think about that. Being able to roam the house with ye old lappy with those two. Also just added some KZ-ED9's to my aresnal (Delivered this coming Thursday.) I think this would be a nice budget setup.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 15
  Yea, my newly received TTPOD T1's sound great on the SBZ, but i need an extension, front panel audio picked up EMI. But, the sound on my laptop is nothing like it, but i was considering this combination for that, and i could take the Topping NX1 out with me to work etc.

This Dac: Ele EL-D01 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-CARD-ELNA-Capacitor-New-/231522396612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7cf69c4
And this Amp: Topping NX1 http://www.amazon.com/Topping-Portable-Earphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00HFMNR4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435055921&sr=8-1&keywords=topping+nx1&pebp=1435055930123&perid=044KPMKT8MM83P4JYDN1

I'm truly curious to what you guys think about that. Being able to roam the house with ye old lappy with those two. Also just added some KZ-ED9's to my aresnal (Delivered this coming Thursday.) I think this would be a nice budget setup.

I'd much rather save up and get the Ibasso D-Zero MkII. One USB cable, done. With those two you hook up one USB cable, then hook up a 3.5mm cable that would have to snake around to the front of the amplifier since both its input and outputs are in front, then there's the IEM that has to hook up to the amp.

If you want to save a few bucks there's the E07K, but the thing about the D-Zero is Android compatibility. You might not need it now, but how far off are you from getting a new handset (hopefully one with an SDcard slot)? 

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I have the NX 1 and the Fiio E6 and I think the E6 sounds a lot better than the NX1. The NX 1 looks a lot better and more professional but the E6 has a more full sound; the NX 1 is missing a bit in the mids and feels hollow. 

The E6 also has belt clips so you can clip it on your belt, your pockets or even your collar. It's also half the price and a 3rd of the size of the NX1. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 15
So, i went ahead and made a purchase. That being the Creative Soundblaster E1. All i can say, is holy cow! Running this out of my Moto X into my TTPOD T1's and my new KZ-ED9's is pure audio bliss. So much more soundstage on both, bass has a nice controlled presence, and the highers are a tid bright and crisp. Overall sound is detailed and pretty exciting, I've definitely made the right decision for my application. The T1's you can really tell love bing amped. I just wanted to share my experience, because for under 40$ dollars this is pretty freaking sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back