recommend an amp
Dec 25, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pluto1

New Head-Fier
Hello- 1st post- can anyone suggest an amp for a beyerdynamicDT 770 Pro Headphone 250 ohms.. I will be useing this to listen to music from my computer. Thanks

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 18
I am looking for the same setup with my DT770/80 also in the same budget. I am leaning towards a Travagan White/Green or Maybe a Fubar III. I am looking for an All-In-One AMP/USB DAC combo from the PC>DAC/AMP>headphones

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 18
There are a few options: If you're getting something to use with your computer, a DAC/amp is the go, rather than just an amp, as you'd just be amplifying the crap that comes out of your soundcard, which isn't of much benefit. There are quite a few options though: The Zero (cheap at $99, but not the best quality), the new Keces model (not tried it myself but they have a good reputation) and the Audio-gd Compass which we asked a Chinese company to make as an alternative to the Zero. The latter is going to be $250 shipped once it's ready in about a month.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are new to headphone amps and like to casually enjoy a reputable amp, within your budget you can try the Corda Arietta amp from Meier Audio.

Meier-Audio

The Arietta is similar to the HeadFive (a special model) that I used to have. It's a good little amp and has a built-in crossfeed filter.

Another inexpensive amp I've heard a couple of times and liked is the Eddie Current Lunchbox which is on sale at $199 right now. If you want to try tubes, this is an affordable way to get into them.

You might also be interested in the Creek OBH-11 for $90 on eBay right now. I started off with one of these and they're not bad, especially for the money. These cost less than most portables, are made by an established audiophile company, and sound pretty good. Since the OBH-11 is powered by a standard wall wart, you will be able to find a power supply appropriate for your country.

If you might like to try your hand at building an amp, Glass Jar Audio has several kits that fit your budget. You'll get the most for your money if you supply the labor and repurpose a case for your amp.

Finally, look through the For Sale Forum here. Lots of good deals turn up and you'd help out a fellow Head-Fi'er if you bought a used one.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 18
If you need a source as well, at $250 you don't have many choices. I usually don't like recommending blindly (which I see SO many doing), but just this once.

Source : 0404 USB $150

Amp : Millet Hybrid $90 - You'll need to put this in a case, but for all that it matters to me, put it in a shoebox
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Lunch Box amp looks like a killer bargain.

agreed, I've owned one! Great little amp for the money.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pluto1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would I need anything else if I go with the Lunchbox. (cables ect....)???Thanks

it depends what you are using as your source. The lunchbox has two rca jacks on the back, so you'd need some sort of cable connecting your source to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back