Recommend a Stripper for me.
Apr 20, 2004 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
A wire stripper.
biggrin.gif

The auto setting kind.
This cheap one I'm using now is on it's last leg. It's more like a wire ripper now. When it clamps down of the wire, it really messes up the insulation of the wire too.

RME_mod_SilverWire_MK3_06.jpg

I primarily strip wires between 30 - 20AWG. Sometimes up to 14AWG, but not often.

So what's a good budget one, intermediate one, and sky's the limit one?

-Ed

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 13
It 's probably too cheap for you, but I enjoy my RadioShack cheapo-stripper. Just cut through the insulation (but don't squeeze too hard or it 'll go through the wire!) and pull off the insulation. I 've never used anything better, so I may not be the best authority on this matter, but I'll say I don 't have a problem with cheap if it works.

Apr 20, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 13
I've always liked tools from Klein. The quality is good and they don't cost an arm and a leg. Ideal also makes decent tools.

For an automatic stripper, perhaps the Klein 11062 (with the 16-26 AWG blades) or the Ideal Stripmaster 45-098 (for20-30 AWG) would work for you. Personally, I prefer manual strippers, so I chose the Klein 11057 which strips 20-30 AWG solid and 22-32 AWG stranded wire. Works well, and the grip profile is comfy in the hand.

As for price levels... I've seen the Klein 11062 and Ideal Stripmaster selling for between $25-30 US. The Ideal Custom Stripmaster (basically a deluxe model of the basic Stripmaster) goes for around $55-60 US. Meanwhile, the manual Klein 11057 can be had for around $15 or less.

D.

[size=xx-small]Edit: added prices[/size]

Apr 20, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 13
I prefer manual strippers. Auto strippers always seem to mangle the wire. Like Demolition, I have a Klein 11057 in my tool kit. Klein tools are excellent. At home on the workbench I use a Patco PTS-30 Thermal wire stripper (available at Digikey).

Apr 20, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Edwood i have one that looks exactly like yours, except it has a little adjustment knob on the back of the "mouth"

it can adjust between different thickness, very useful
(i also have another one without the adjustment knob, and it's just horrible

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Manual strippers are a lot better. I've had at least 3 auto-strippers died on me before.... Besides, you already know the gauge of wires you're working with.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 13
In my (limited) experience adjustable wire strippers aren't a whole lot of fun to work with. I've tried one that looks like Edwood's picture, but I always turned the adjustment dial accidentally (it is fairly loose). Then the stripper would get set for the wrong size. =P Of course you can become pretty efficient with it once you get the hang of it, applying the proper pressure. I suppose they're good budget strippers.

On a side note, I don't recommend radio shack wire strippers with the sliding screw adjustment. The screw always shifts as you tighten the screw, meaning you have to compensate for this movement while screwing the dial. Of course it works fine once it's set, but the work to set it isn't worth it imho. (sliding screw adjustment looks like this: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...gi?item=WS-150 )

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 13
I have one that's almost like the yellow ones in that pic, you just have to be careful you don't nick the wires, other than that, they're fine, and cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back