Recommend a Starting from Scratch System
Apr 16, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 19
I've lived here now for about five weeks now, on E. 26 St. I can't think of a place where you need all your wits and senses more!

I love my Etys but I wouldn't walk around in them. And also there's the microphonic noise.

Apr 16, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 19
I'm impressed [note absence of sarcasm -- ed.].

That was the most tactful response you could have given, Aeberach. You informed me oh-so-quietly and unassumingly that you, too were a New Yorker and you didn't even mention that I'd changed your sig to the name of a German electronic artist inadvertently. I respect that, A. You should give me lessons in decorum, nudge grin chortle.

I think we're in agreement about not using Etys in dodgy settings.

Still, I'm good at gauging what volume is best for hearing the noise around here -- it's all about gain structure. About a week ago, I walked in front of an impatient driver who honked at me because he wanted to run the red light (that happens here a lot). "Take those things off, *******," he yelled. "I heard you," I replied just loudly enough make a businesswoman smirk. "I just didn't care 'cause you *know* I had the light."

The problem I'm addressing (again) is failing to realize in a noisy environment that Etys are loud enough to do damage, esp. when listened to constantly. You're in a quieter neighborhood than I (Wall Street and Alphabet City win the noise ribbon collectively (right after Times Square)) but I'm sure you've visited here and we're definitely using the same subway and bus system. I find it dangerous to use isolating earphones and NY transportation simultaneously. Have you tried that, A? Or have you had the sense to turn your portable player off?

Strange, to come home today without Etys and be blasted with screeches. It's like sunbathing without shades. I miss having them in already.

Apr 17, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 19
I think that the ER-6 does sound a little bass shy at lower volumes. Especially after listening to Koss KSC50 for a while. I listen to ER-6 and Total Airhead in a very loud work place (railroad). While it is possible to crank them up and get a very nice bass I usually don't because then I can't hear whats going on around me, and it is just too loud for my comfort. Since I use a Rio SP250 I just adjust the eq setting to compensate. I wish I could comment on the tinnitus factor. I already have a bad case of tinnitus from this job, bad enough that it is actually louder than the hum from my computer right now. I haven't noticed any difference since I got the Ety's.

I got the ER-6 because they act like the ear plugs I normally wear at work, and sound much better than clip ons over ear plugs. I use the new foam tips since I never could get a good seal with the other tips. With this combo I can turn off the music and still have reasonable hearing protection.

Apr 18, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 19
I use my etymotics er4s and a TA 4.5 V all the time on the subway sans problems. I would recommend the same for any commuting situation. I just wore them for a 3 1/2 train ride down to dc which made the ordeal palatable. I would reccomend the ER-4S TA4.5 V and panasonic combo to my best friend. It is audio bliss, as a fellow New Yorker I give it my highest recommendation and as a physician I say you are less likely to get tinnitus from this combo because of the sound isolation that the etys give you. On a day like tonight with the a/c running i'd have to run my hd 600s at prohibitively loud volumes to acheive satisfactory sound levels. with the etys i am perfectly comfortable at a benign level. Good luck
go for the etys and ta 4.5 combo
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back