Recommend a Power Cord for a Skeptic
May 22, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Please recommend a power cord in the $150 range (new or used). Best Bang for the Buck?

I’ve got an E.A.R. HP4 that I’d like to get a power cord for. I’m rather skeptical as to the audible merits of high-end power cords so hit me with a recommendation. This shouldn’t be a discussion on the pros or cons of high end power cords but a recommendation for ones that you think add to the system

My system consists of a NAIM CD5x – Chord Cobra 2 - E.A.R. HP4 – Grado HP2’s. NAIM recommends using the power cord that came with the CD player. The HP4 didn’t come with a power cord so it needs one, it’s currently using a computer power cord I had laying around.

I was considering building one myself but the high-end plug and jack can get awfully expensive- I saw a used power cord for less than the cost of the high-end plug and socket.

Thanks For Your Suggestions.

Mitch

May 22, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 21
You can get a used LAT International power cord for around $100. I highly recommned these cords. Adding one to my amp made an audible difference, especially in the lower frequencies, and the noise floor was lowered as well. Also, the VH Audio power cords also seem to have a lot of proponents on this forum.

May 22, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 21
As a fellow skeptic, I recommend self-terminating DH Labs Power Plus.

I use Hubbell plugs and Wattgate or Furutech IEC's. Average cost comes out to a little less than $100/metre all-in.

May 22, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 21
I, too, am a bit skeptical. Presently, I have a couple of quail cords and a signalcable magic power but have been so very tempted to pull the trigger on a VH Flavor 4. Skeptic or no, I'm w..e..a..k! Very WEAK!!

May 22, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 21
You guys basically have two frequently recommended power cords:

VH Audio Flavor 1: http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

Bob Crump DIY power cord: http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

If you want to build it yourself, then the Bob Crump DIY power cord is your project and it is very affordable. Basically, it's the first DIY / "audiophile" power cord project for those who are very skeptical about the sensational hyperbole used to describe more expensive cables. Then, the VH Audio is also a DIY project but it is a bit more expensive although it is selling for an absurd price. I have tried both cords briefly and they convinced me that better quality cables do make an audible and visual improvement. They helped me to work harder and longer to save up the money to afford my current favorites after my discovery -- Cardas Golden Reference Power and Neutral Reference ICs.

Please consider trying them out. If you don't like the results, then rest assured that the resale value on both VH Audio and Bob Crump power cords is quite good and the cost of admission is relatively low and affordable.

Also, if you guys do not feel comfortable building an electrical power cord yourselves, then you can easily purchased new or used VH Audio or Bob Crump power cords fully assembled for a modest extra amount of money. You should search http://www.audioasylum.com or http://www.audiogon.com .

However, I am not responsible if you make the same discovery as myself and you go beserk on buying esoteric and expensive cables!

May 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
You guys basically have two frequently recommended power cords:

VH Audio Flavor 1: http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

Bob Crump DIY power cord: http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

If you want to build it yourself, then the Bob Crump DIY power cord is your project and it is very affordable. Basically, it's the first DIY / "audiophile" power cord project for those who are very skeptical about the sensational hyperbole used to describe more expensive cables. Then, the VH Audio is also a DIY project but it is a bit more expensive although it is selling for an absurd price. I have tried both cords briefly and they convinced me that better quality cables do make an audible and visual improvement. They helped me to work harder and longer to save up the money to afford my current favorites after my discovery -- Cardas Golden Reference Power and Neutral Reference ICs.

Please consider trying them out. If you don't like the results, then rest assured that the resale value on both VH Audio and Bob Crump power cords is quite good and the cost of admission is relatively low and affordable.

Also, if you guys do not feel comfortable building an electrical power cord yourselves, then you can easily purchased new or used VH Audio or Bob Crump power cords fully assembled for a modest extra amount of money. You should search http://www.audioasylum.com or http://www.audiogon.com .

However, I am not responsible if you make the same discovery as myself and you go beserk on buying esoteric and expensive cables!

So do you prefer the Golden Ref PC over the Litz? Which component in your rig gets which PC?? Also curious about the choice of the NR IC's. Did you try the Golden Ref IC's as well? If you did, what were your impressions?

Right now, I'm researching and taking all the advice I can get.

May 23, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 21
I can speak about chris venhaus and his flavor 1 which i use for my meridian, simply outstanding, so much has been said that it is simply superflous for me to add on top of it, go to audiogon or audioasylum and read the reviews.

Brailledriver, i know your familiar with Dennis Boyle at Chimera labs and his stuff is truly amazing; he is coming out with a power cord real soon and that may take the throne bar none, his IC's are amazing, they were perfect in my system and let the music flow from my meridian to its full potential, i would imagine his power cord will be fitting for his rep.

May 23, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 21
My BPT Litz 9 AWG with FIM AC/IEC and Super Shield power cord goes into my BPT BP.Jr II Ultra with Signature Upgrades balanced power conditioner and to the wall AC. My Cardas Golden Reference Power goes from the power conditioner to my ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I have a stock 16 AWG generic power cord running from my Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 to my power conditioner. I also have a stock 18 AWG power cord running from my Tivoli Audio Model One AM/FM radio to my power conditioner. There is also another stock 18 AWG power cord running from my TERK FM4000 FM Edge DDA FM antenna to my power conditioner.

I still prefer the Cardas house sound over everything else, but for you I would say to look into the VH Audio or Bob Crump power cords. Essentially, I understand your thread to be one of figuring out for yourself with your own ears whether power cords make any difference whatsoever. If that is true, then don't plunk down a lot of money to get a fancy power cord because you might be more tempted to join the dark side and say that $5000 cables make a huge difference in sound quality...somehow.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

May 23, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 21
“Dennis Boyle at Chimera labs and his stuff is truly amazing”

Thanks for reminding me about his new power cord. I read about it somewhere and it didn’t register.

Dennis is a Great guy to deal with and I’ll probably give it a try.

Thanks

Mitch

May 23, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“Dennis Boyle at Chimera labs and his stuff is truly amazing”

Thanks for reminding me about his new power cord. I read about it somewhere and it didn’t register.

Dennis is a Great guy to deal with and I’ll probably give it a try.

Thanks

Mitch

Hey Mitch! if you get in contact with him and find out more details about his new power cord, let me in the loop - i still have my VH Audio flavor 1 on 60 day money back and would like to do comparo between the two, i will say however his IC's definitely best the pulsars, and the pulsars aint meatloaf either

May 23, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm also skeptical, and I can't swear that the power cords that I use have made a real difference. But, they were recommended by someone that I really trust, so here they are: "Absolute Power Cords" purchased from Bill Parish at GTT Audio and Video. He's at www.gttgroup.com, with e-mail at av@gttgroup.com. These power cords are real heavy, with large and heavily wired plugs, and they cost approx. $54 each.

May 23, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 21
It looks like a Quail cord to me. Anyone cut one up to compare the 2?

May 23, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 21
That GTT Absolute Power Cord is also another one that I was thinking of recommending last night, but I forgot about it. So, it is definitely something to add to the short list of affordable power cords. I still recommend that you buy a constructed one for electrical safety reasons and you try it out with your best source component. I wish I could come to your homes with all of my fancy dancy power equipment and let you try it out for yourselves for a couple of hours. Maybe I should be attending Head-Fi meetings.

May 23, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 21
"I can't swear that the power cords that I use have made a real difference."

Then that's not the power cord I'm looking for. If I get a power cord and can't convince myself it does make some sort of audible difference it's going back.

I'm not looking to get one for the sake of being cool. I'm looking to improve my system. I realize I'm going to pay top dollar for the last 5% but I've earned it.

"his stuff is truly amazing" "his IC's are amazing" "may take the throne bar none"

Now that's the kind of enthusiasm I'm looking for. It'll cost more than I originally intended to spend but Dennis' return policy is outstanding and he's a great guy to deal with.

Mitch

May 23, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 21
How flexible is the VH Flavor 1? I'm currently using LAT AC1's, while I like them they are too fragile (had one break already) and I really need something more flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back