Recommend a headphone for rock (modern and classic) that's also a good all-rounder (I've tried the HD-800's, LCD2's, and HE-500's)
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

guitarlp

New Head-Fier
I've been on my search for the "prefect" can and I'm hoping you guys can provide some input. I primarily listent o modern and classic rock, but I also through in some other genre's from time to time. Recently I've started getting into jazz, and I also listen to metal from time to time as well.

Here's some headphones I've tried and my impressions:

HD800's - My favorite of all of them so far. Soundstage is amazing and they're super comfortable.However, there's two big things I don't like about these cans. The soundstage is so impressive that I often find myself being taken out of the music and it becomes to analytical. For example, with these cans, when I listen to an acoustic rock song, I can sometimes here the sound of the pick hitting the guitar. It's not that I just hear the sound, it's that the HD800's throw the sound in my face so to speak. For some genre's I can see that being a good thing, but for me I'd prefer something with a smaller soundstage. My other nit-pick is that they lack "life." What I mean is, while they sound good, they don't get my feet tapping like other headphones do.

LCD2's - Didn't care for these at all. Besides being very uncomfortable on my head, they really lacked in the treble department. Bass was amazing (best of any headphone I've heard), but they sounded empty and unsatisfying on the high end of things. Even if I liked them, they hurt the top of my head after an hour of use so they were a no go.

HE-500's - I thought these were a great value for the money. They were a good all-round headphone but they lacked a little on pretty much everything compared to something like the HD800's. The HD800's were simply better at almost everything. I did prefer the warmth of the HE-500's though, as well as the ability for these cans to get me "into" the music and get my feet tapping.

So that's where I'm at so far with my testing. I have a few more days left on my HD800's before I can no longer return them to Amazon for a refund. I really do like them, but I just don't find them enjoyable for the types of music I listen to. I think the majority of the people that recommend them typically listen to jazz, orchestra, and classical and for those genre's where you need that soundstage and instrument separation I could see them as being amazing. But in my case, that huge soundstage is pulling me out of enjoying the music and it's picking up on some of the negative things in some of the more modern music.

So where do I go from there? I'm thinking the T1 may be a good can as it sounds like it's similar to the HD800's with maybe a little more warmth and less of a soundstage (which is closer to what I'm looking for). The D7000's seem to be well reviewed as being more fun and better with modern rock, but it looks like Denon discontinued that and the D71000 isn't getting good reviews. The HE-6 also looks really good but I'm worried about the amping requirements. I have a Schiit Lyr which sounds like it will power them find, but if I wanted to use them in my living room out of the Headphone out of my Denon receiver, they probably wouldn't be driven properly.

Based on my experience with the above headphones, what would you guys recommend I try?

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Try the T1, and also the Fostex TH-600.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard of the Fostex cans... so I'll do a bit of research on those.

The T1's sound like they may be a good suite for me. I found Zombie_X's review of the T1's and he hits the main points I find problematic with the HD800's:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-t1/reviews/4306

Anyone else have any recommendations? I hear Grado's pair well with rock music, although from what I remember they're not usually a good all-round headphone though.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 7
You could look into:

Ultrasone Signature Pro (or Signature DJ if you crave a bit more soundstage and bass...)
Beyer T5p (seems to be good for Rock, haven't tried them though...)
Fostex Th-600/900 have been receiving excellent reviews, sound is similar to old Denon series Dx000 but more refined. (Guide to buy the TH900s: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/2175#post_8833999 )

:p

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi guitarlp,
I own the Ultrasone ED-8 and like the sound.  Balanced with good bass, closed cans.  Many reviewers say the mids are grainy, and I can hear that, but overall I still like the sound.  I am a fan of rock music like you. 
Thanks for the comment about the LCD-2.  I am leaning toward those because of DavidMahler's extensive review "Battle of the Flagships" and also wanting to try out the planar magnetic technology.  Now, your comments are making me think twice.

Happy listening,
RCBinTN

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Alessandro MS-PRO

I really enjoy them with rock and jazz music. They have a great midrange energy that really gets you into the music, are very detailed, amazing prat. The soundstage isnt very big but works with rock and jazz music just Iine. My only real complain about them would be that they don't go go all that deep in the low end. But I can live with that.

Personally I am on my second pair and don't see myself selling them again. They are currently my go to headphone for most any genre of music. I will say that my next purchase will be a set of Sennheiser HD800's to complement the ms-pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back