Recommend a Good Pasta Sauce
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

dcheming

100+ Head-Fier
I've been cooking a lot of pasta lately and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand of sauce to try. The best I've found here so far is Mezzetta and I like all of their sauces. There is such a massive range of choices and I've had some pretty bad sauces lately while trying out new brands, so I pretty much have gone back with Mezzetta. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 37
i actually like rago and when i feel spicy prego...
i dont like the vodka sauces that seem to be in right now..

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 37
Why don't you make Bolognese sauce from scratch? Very easy and ten times more tasty. You need about 6-10 ripe tomatoes or even better a large can of tomatoes, 2 large onions, 3 to 5 cloves of garlic, 350 grams (non greasy)minced meat, half a glass of white wine, milk, water or vegetable stock (a dissolved cube will do fine), oregano, olive oil, basilicum, salt and pepper. Chop up the onions, garlic and tomatoes (or open the can). Fry the onions in olive oil until golden brown and add the garlic. Fry the minced meat, stirring until it is loose and brown. Add the white wine and simmer on reduced heat untill the wine is almost gone. Add the tomatoes and water or stock, stir and simmer slowly. The longer the better. Season to taste. Add the milk 15 minutes before you want to eat. Presto, homemade Bolognese sauce that is better than anything out of a can or jar. Fresh sauce<->canned sauce = Bose <-> UA Super.fi 5 EB. You can always make more and freeze it. Cheaper than half a can!

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 37
Nothing beats a good marinara:

Pisto's Marinara
(makes about 1 quart)

8 garlic cloves

(2) 28-oz. cans whole, peeled tomatoes

1 med. yellow onion

one-quarter teaspoon cracked red pepper

olive oil

2 teaspoon sugar

one-half bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley

salt and black pepper

one-half bunch fresh basil

Coarsely chop garlic and onion. Remember, the finer the chop the more powerful the flavor. In a large skillet, lightly brown garlic and onion in olive oil. Remove stems from parsley and basil and chop coarsely. Add to skillet. Squeeze in tomatoes with juice. Add red pepper. Add sugar to balance tomato acid. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce is thick, approximately 20-30 minutes.

It's easy to sub in fresh tomatoes, if you can get them. Also, making your own pasta is pretty easy, too. Try making everything from scratch some time, you won't believe how good it is.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 37
With all due respect to 1911, I have to say vodka sauce done right is fabulous. I don't know about it being trendy now, but I've been enjoying it for over a decade. Unfortunately, while it's not too hard to find good vodka sauce in NYC, it's alot harder to find it in on the West Coast! I'd look on the web to find a decent recipe.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 37
I ate an endless amount of pasta + sauce in grad school (very cheap). I tried them all. My favorite was CLASSICO. Closest thing to homemade. Thick and Rich with chunks of good stuff (vegetables, sausage, etc.) inside.

http://www.classico.com/html/products/home.asp

You will believe.
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Americas Test Kitchen they rated Barilla Marinara the best. I've used it and it's good, but lately I have been using Newmans Own organic marinara sauce.

x2 I have a hard time finding it sometimes, great stuff. Classico isn't that bad either, esp. their Spicy Red Pepper one.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 37
Stevesurf, where can one find Rao's Homemade vodka sauce?

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ate an endless amount of pasta + sauce in grad school (very cheap). I tried them all. My favorite was CLASSICO. Closest thing to homemade. Thick and Rich with chunks of good stuff (vegetables, sausage, etc.) inside.

http://www.classico.com/html/products/home.asp

You will believe.
icon10.gif

Same here - I'm still in the gradschool, and we do pasta every other day. CLASSICO Traditional or Four Chesses is our choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back