recommend a good dremel tool for the stuff we do here.
Nov 4, 2008 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Cordless or corded and what are the most popular accessories? I saw a 10volt one with a kit for $70. I want to cut metal cases knobs sand stuff etc.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cordless or corded and what are the most popular accessories? I saw a 10volt one with a kit for $70. I want to cut metal cases knobs sand stuff etc.

Corded imho, and for cutting metal (hopefully aluminum), the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels are the greatest thing ever - about a 1 to 5 ratio on wheels needed (after going through about 30 this weekend).

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels are the greatest thing ever

+1 on that.

I own both cordless and corded Dremels. The cordless one is handy for quick jobs (cutting pot shafts). The corded one along with a flex shaft is great for heavier cutting jobs, like cutting square holes in a chassis. I also use the corded one as a drill press for drilling PCB holes.

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 11
I have a corded dremel, that I hardly use.

I just bought a Delta benchtop drill press, a much more useful tool, IMO.
Costs more (about $200), but I think its worth it.

To make non round holes, a combination of drilling, nibbler and a file works well for me.

Randy

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 11
All part of the rue - Dremel, drill press and cordless drill - I use all 3 on every casing project I ever do - each has their role. For extra flexibility, I also have a tabletop bandsaw, and even use my chopsaw occasionally to cut aluminum, especially bar, angle and channel.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 11
Apartment dweller here so I need something relatively small that can still get the job done. Hopefully its one tool that can do it all and is under $100. Hopefully my wife will get me one for X-mas.

Is there somthing like this? I was thinking of this but if you guys know of something better let me know.

8000-01 10.8V Lithium-ion Cordless Rotary Tool Kit / Model: 8000-01

Its about $70 at Home Depot. Ill do corded too if it will get the DIY jobs done better.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I prefer corded power tools myself, the battery never dies in the middle of a job. Cordless ones can be nice in tight spots where a cord can get in the way though.

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 11
Proxxon makes some really nice stuff. Their rotary tool has some nice attachments such as a drill press, milling table, router and they're sturdy. I have a Dremel with drill press and router attachment and they are kinda flimsy - not unusable, but flimsy. If I could do it again I would buy the Proxxon stuff instead.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To make non round holes, a combination of drilling, nibbler and a file works well for me.

nibbler gets a vote from me. I use mostly hand tools (I don't have a proper shop, sadly) and the combo of using soft aluminum (avoid steel) and a hand nibbler lets me cut the square holes sometimes needed (power cord iec's for one).

if you luck out and find a greenlee chassis punch in the size and shape you need, get that, too. they are expensive though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back