recommandations for my he6
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yuhengtiger

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, 

I am looking at a headphone amplifier for my he6.

Which one should I choose, schiit lyr 2 or schiit valhalla 2?

I also got pairs of low impedance iems like shure 846 and I hope I can also use them in my amps. 

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 14

DrKC

100+ Head-Fier
The Schiit Valhalla has an output impedance spec'd at 3.5 Ohms.  This probably would not be a good match with your 846s spec'd at 9 ohms.  The HE-6s would be fine.
The Lyr has considerably more output power and lower output impedance.  It would seem to be the better match for both headphones.  I have no idea how the Lyr sounds.  I have a Valhalla and use it with some of my high impedance phones.  Personally, I like the way sounds.  But, on paper, the Lyr better suits your headphones.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 14

Oregonian

Headphoneus Supremus
Neither.  Try a vintage speaker amp and hook the HE-6 up to the B speaker taps.  You'll like it. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 14

yuhengtiger

100+ Head-Fier
The Schiit Valhalla has an output impedance spec'd at 3.5 Ohms.  This probably would not be a good match with your 846s spec'd at 9 ohms.  The HE-6s would be fine.
The Lyr has considerably more output power and lower output impedance.  It would seem to be the better match for both headphones.  I have no idea how the Lyr sounds.  I have a Valhalla and use it with some of my high impedance phones.  Personally, I like the way sounds.  But, on paper, the Lyr better suits your headphones.

Thank you. I will try with Valhalla first.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 14

inthere

Headphoneus Supremus
Very little audible difference in DACs, no audible difference in conversion quality has ever been found in blind testing.  

Schiit Modi will be competitive with anything under $1000. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 14

Oregonian

Headphoneus Supremus
  Very little audible difference in DACs, no audible difference in conversion quality has ever been found in blind testing.  

Schiit Modi will be competitive with anything under $1000. 

Agree 100%.  I run most of my vintage systems out of iPhone 4 or 5's into NuForce iDo DAC and am quite impressed with the sound compared to a high end Pioneer CD player I have as well as comparing to vinyl albums - the sound is great.  Maybe an audiophile with golden ears would scoff but I'm ok with that.  I know what I like and spending huge money on DAC's is not on my menu.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 14

KG Jag

Headphoneus Supremus

Thank you. I will try with Valhalla first.

The Valhalla 1/2 will not properly power the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread