Recomendation for neutral iem in 30-60 $ range
Oct 5, 2014 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lksndr

New Head-Fier
Ok, so short history, i had sennheiser ie8 first, and i definitely dont want anything with veil like they had because of too much bass, than i had shure 535 which i liked very very much and enjoyed, but than i sold them because i was constantly reading about them not having extended treble and so on, thinking to go for something more expensive originally, but than my budget got cut severely, so i ended up with rock it r-50, and as much as i dont want that veil of ie8, i dont want that harshness cuz i had to buy filters for them and what not and i was never really satisfied with the sound. I understand why people like that type of sound, and i liked it to some extent, but whenever high end would be prevalent in the song it would just drive me crazy ... in the end i lost them, and im kinda not sorry, but now my budget is even less :)

So im looking for something with mids like shure 535, with high end a bit smoother than on r-50, and for bass, i just need extension, as low as it can get, i dont need it to be extra strong, im not gonna go into bus and listen to them or outside, i need something for now for producing music, EDM mostly, that is another reason i didint like r-50 because i could never turn them up as much as i wanned to get a bigger sound because they are so bright that my ears would hurt from high end, but yes when listened to very quietly they were very nice and revealing ... 

I dont need bass to be huge or anything, the amount of 535 would be great, i just need it to be tight and extended as much as posible since i know theese are not going to be 500$ in ears ...  slightly midcentric, and not harsh but smooth and revealing in the high end, i dont want it to be dark, but should be far away from offensive ...
what would that be?
im reading couple of reviews and comparisons, but often people will compare one of the kind with other set that i never heard, so i get lost, and after having 3 sets of in ears, i know how huge the difference can be between them so im a bit hesitant now ... if somebody who does this reviews can read this and give me a recomendation based on these ones that i heard, that would be great ...

so far i came up with:

VSONIC GR06
JVC HA-FXT90
VSonic vsd1s
Fidue A63
Ultimate Ears UE 600
VSONIC GR02 Bass Edition
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2
VSonic VC02
Fischer Audio Consonance
Fischer Audio Omega
Sony XBA-1

please help there is just too much options , and this is gonna be my only thing iwill listen music to for at least a year, i dont want to make mistake ... for now my eye is set on gr06 ... or should i add another 40 and go to re-400 as a safe choice?

Last i bumped into is this JVC HA-FXT90 which was just 0.1 point behind re-400, and they were 100 bucks when the review happened, now they are 50, so that should make it a easy choice than? Am i missing something?

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 10
All of theese exceed my budget ...

on the other hand for almost all of them on the list, i found bad sides of them like re-400 build quality and lack of bass, JVC HA-FXT90 is harsh on the highs, others are flat while most of them are just rolled over to soon, so im completely lost now ...

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 10
The XBA-1 is midcentric, with smooth but rolled off treble, and acceptable bass (as long as you understand that this is a sub $30 single BA IEM).

Its my daily use IEM, and frankly I can't ask for much more at the price.  If you want bass or very present treble look elsewhere.

Another one you may consider, though I have no experience with it, is the Ety Kids 5.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 10
i need something with sub bass (not bass monsters or anything, i dont need it to be loud, i just need it to be there and well controlled)  i listen to progresive/psy trance almost all of the bass is in the sub and i have to be able to hear it properly, and i definitely dont need any mid bass bloat, so i understand what u want to say with taking the price into account, i dont expect them to have bass of 535 or clarity of r-50, im just looking for a more optimal solution lets say ...

Im reading head fi for 2 days straight now, and FIDUE A63 seems to be what im looking for, and i alsmost ordered them, but than i red that Zero Audio Carbo Tenore has more sub bass, and simmilar image, so i went to drawing board again.

thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

Lets do a small review of what im looking for now when i can describe it a bit better:

good, well controlled sub bass extension (not overpowering anything, just to be there and well controlled) (shure was great, i got used to r-50 bass also
no mid bass bloat/maybe a little bit would be ok if they are really mid centric
if possible sweet mids like shure
sparkle as r-50 but waaaaaay les pronounced, and this is also the range i am most willing to sacrifice
no veil anywhere if possible

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 10
and since couple of people reported that T1E can also be harsh on the highs, i think we have a winner - Zero Audio Carbo Tenore! :)

do you guys i will be happy with these acording to what i wanned from the sound?

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 10
I have the XBA-1. It is is very nice for classical music. It has plenty of detail, however its bass doesn't have much "slam". I'm not a basshead, however 
when comparing it to the other IEMs I have, it seems to produce the least bass impact. Increasing the bass on the player's equilizer doesn't really help.

I suggest that you look at the Soundmagic ES18. It is one one of my favorite IEMs even though it is only $12. I have a number of of IEMs that were more expensive, 
however lately I have been listening to the ES18 the most. If you don't like how it looks(imo it looks good with the black cord), the E10 is said to sound very similar, 
but has metal enclosures and is $30+. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598627/review-soundmagic-es18-measured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back