Recomend me an "odd" instrument to learn
Jun 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nose flute:

nose%20flute.jpg

Let me guess, is that flute aka the Boogeridoo?

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #35 of 59
I play both the hammered dulcimer and the traditional dulcimer. Both are rather easy to learn and will provide you many hours of fun.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #36 of 59
Minimalist Folk? Thimbles and a tray:

eddie+gabriel.jpg

Quote:

Eddie Gabriel (1910-2005) was a 60-year employee of Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans. His special act was to balance an aluminum tray on thimble-covered fingers, rattling whatever change he could coax from the audience in time to the songs played in the piano bar. Tragically, Mr. Gabriel died in 2005 at the age of 95 in his Lower Ninth Ward home in the flooding following Hurricane Katrina.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tuba. Don't try to tell me it isn't an odd instrument.

I play tuba. What are you trying to say?

wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say aim for something portable. I mean really portable, so you can always have it in your pocket, ready to rock/jam/whatever takes your fancy.

Harmonica.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #44 of 59
I second the Hurdy-Gurdy. You can't fault an instrument that looks like an over-engineered violin, sounds like a set of bagpipes and is crank-operated.
biggrin.gif

Except maybe with a Theremin, an instrument that looks like a broken radio but sounds like 1950s sci-fi.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hammered dulcimer is a pretty odd and also nice sounding instrument.
The only time I've heard one performed is in the piece Háry János by Zoltán Kodály, it's really... pretty.

That Blue Man Group video is pretty odd too
tongue.gif

There is a New York-based ambient musician named Laraaji who does amazing things with the hammered dulcimer. I saw him once busking on the street, and he was wonderful in that setting. But his stuff got really mind-bending when he worked with Brian Eno on the album Ambient 3: Day of Radiance. Since it's an Eno collaboration, God only knows what sort of studio wizardry went into the production; it's a little difficult to separate the sound of the unaltered instrument from the sound of the instrument with full-on electronic treatment. But the results are mesmerizing in any case.

Laraaji also plays a heavily modified electronic zither, but several of the tracks on Ambient 3 were built around the hammered dulcimer alone.

I think this is one of them:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back