Reco for inexpensive Digital-only CD Player w/ USB
May 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

politbureau

100+ Head-Fier
Hey team,

I'm in the market to replace my old Sony DVD player, which I've been using as my primary CD player, with something a bit nicer. I actually find the output from this via coax extremely good - better in fact than a couple of standalone CD players that I've tried - but I'd like some added functionality.

I will be outputting a digital signal directly from the player to my Gungnir, so it does not need to have a robust internal DAC. I'd also really like a way to connect my iPhone so I can pass digital music directly to my Gungnir, as the Camera Adapter does not seem to work with the USB Gen2 card.

Price no object, I'd get the Marantz CD6005, but it's a bit out of my price range at $499, and I'd like to stay under $300.

I was considering the Teac CDP650 as it's outrageously cheap ($129) and has a powered iPhone connector, but I don't like that the digital output is only optical. Yamaha also has one at the top of my budget ($300) in the CD-S300.

Also, it'd be really nice if it was silver, to match the rest of my Schiit :)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

May 7, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 3
  Will the Onkyo C-7030 work for you?  If not you may have to make a choice between your budget and features you seek, or perhaps hit the used market.

That's a great player, but it lacks USB, which is really the main reason I'm even upgrading.

The other thing I've noticed is North America gets the shaft when it comes to silver versions of home audio equipment. I would have snatched up the Marantz 6005 already if we had the silver version available here, but newwwwp - they're only available in the UK and Asia - and for less than the US price as well. Frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back