rechargeable AAA's for ct-570
Jun 11, 2002 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mrselfdestruct

Head-Fier
hey guys, so i just realized that in the course of moving back home for the summer i lost the rechargeable panasonic AAA batteries that came with my 570. does anyone kno of a place where i would be able to get these or any suitable replacements(hopefully cheaper)? also do you guys kno about how much it would cost for 2 of them. thanks

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 17
Jun 11, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 17
The batteries in the SL-CT570 are the HHR-4AHA/2B. I couldn't find them online anywhere, though, so I don't know if they sell them -- even though that's what the manual says to replace them with.

But they're just NiMH 1.2V, 650mAh batteries. All nickel-metal hydride batteries are 1.2V (alkaline and NiCd are 1.5V), so just try to find one that has the right current-hours.

kerelybonto

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 17
I can pick up a 4 pack of AAA 700 mah Nimh batteries for 9 bucks at the local Fry's. They are quite nice.

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 17
All NiMH and NiCd batteries are 1.2 volts. Throw-aways atart out as about 1.56+ but taper down fairly quickly.

Personal experimentation with AA's has shown that Alkalines generally are pretty dead at about 1.3 volts. However, even though rechargeables start out at a lower voltage, they seem to produce identical results to alkalines until they die, which they do fairly suddenly.

Just get the highest MAH rating you can find and you'll do good.

Jun 11, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Strogian :

"The player will only recharge the special Panasonic batteries though, right?"

Don't believe so. I use powerex from thomas dist. and they charge just fine. They also measure more than the 1.2v spec.

Jun 11, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

The player will only recharge the special Panasonic batteries though, right?

No, it will probably recharge Energizer rechargables as well. I use Energizer NiMH's with my sony MD recorder, which recharges them fine.

Jun 11, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 17
The only thing stopping recharge is that a plastic covering on batteries might prevent metal contact on the Panasonic built-in charger. Of course even better would be to just buy a decent charger which would squeeze better battery life and charge cycles and grab some nice AA's while you are at it.

Gameboy's also try to scare people into thinking that their players only can use proprietary rechargable batteries as well. Unfortunately there isn't really anything proprietary about their batteries whatsoever except a higher price.

Jun 11, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 17
MAH == Milli-Amp-Hour, a measure of the stored power in the battery.

The actual voltage rating of most NiMH and NiCd bats is 1.25. That's essentially a law of physics. It doesn't matter the size of the cell, it's still 1.25 volts. Most packs are rated as 1.2 volts per cell, so that an 8 cell pack would be 9.6 volts. They loose that 0.05 real quick, so it's generally not considered. Freshly charged, they'll read as much as 1.4 volts+, but as soon as a load is applied, they drop to 1.2.

Got Panasonic AA's at Costco; 1600 mah; 6 for $12.95. AA's was all they had in NiMH's.

Got 4500 mah D's at RS: 2 for $14.95. Hate to say anything nice about the Shack, but it was the best price/power I found.

Probably gonna get a couple Plainviews for my 9 volt TAH.

Hope some of this helps.

Edit; Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jun 14, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Got Panasonic AA's at Costco; 1600 mah; 6 for $12.95. AA's was all they had in NiMH's.

wow...all i can find at costco's in canada are duracell alkalines...thats all the batteries they carry around here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back